Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first day out with Excal... I got questions for the Excal experts..

MrPirate

Well I decided not to take the boat out. Drove out to the statebeach, had to get the movie people filming Miami Vice. Well after setting up and getting used to carrying all of the stuff again in 100 degree heat I was on my way. I have a question on the threshold. Mine is acting very erratic, or do I have the sensitivity set to high for the ground. Should I be running it in Auto. The threshold jumps around with alot of false signals while moving the coil. What's up with that?

I managed to find every pull tab and bottle cap on the beach I think and dug most of them from China.:lol: The toal for the day is $.68 in clad a token and some other coin I can't identify:thumbup:

So when I told you to run it at 12 or MAYBE 11 if you could run it that hot, you just decided to blow that advice out the window and run it at 9? And continue to do so even though it was erratic? And never back it down?

Hmm...kind of defeats the whole purpose of asking people for tips and pointers if you go out there and crank it up and forget whatever everybody said, doesn't it?

Grasshopper forgot you had told me that little bit of information. I am so used to the constant hum of My old Garrett I was thinking there was something wrong with the unit it was so jittery.
I did find some stuff, bottle tops at almost 18 inches and pop tops at 12. Next time Grasshoper will be more mindful of information supplied.

Thank you for your wisdom.
Mark

One thing you want is a nice steady threshold buzz. Just enough to hear it well, not too loud. I think you can probably set the sens to 11 and forget it. Then set your threshold to just a gentle buzz.

Important note: The Excalibur threshold will often take on the tone of the last target you go over, similar to the Sovereign. If the last target you went over is an iron null, then the threshold can seem to stop. Going over a coin or other non-ferrous object brings it back. I Often tip my scoop handle down toward the coil briefly to bring the threshold back. Or you can just hunt until you do hit something else and it comes back. I like to ALWAYS hear my threshold. Reason is that's how the Minelab machines get the deep targets that others miss.

Scenario: Here comes a non-threshold machine...let's say a Fisher CZ-20, for example. The coil swings near a target but just misses it. He cruises right by without a sound. Here comes Mr. Minelab behind him. He also JUST misses the target. But he gets JUST close enough that his threshold is interrupted. "Whoa...what was that?" He backtracks and takes a closer "sniff" and is rewarded with the coveted low growl of gold. Out pops and 18K ring with a $6000 diamond solitaire! Because of why??? That little buzz. So the moral is that it's a good thing to have a little buzz while you're out detecting. :lol:

The unit sounded like it was sending morse code. I was wondering why the tone on the threshold was always changing my Garrett never did that.

By the way what what does gold sound like? I got alot of bottle tops that have a low muffled tone. I thought I was getting the hang of the pulltabs and got a low tone and dug it and up came a pulltab that had been in the ground a long time 10" deep. So how low is the tone for Gold? I it lower than what a bottle top sounds like? Thanks for the information and I will try to remember it on my next outing.

Smooth seas and good luck
Mark

Mark, the tone for gold is going to be ANYWHERE from the tone for a penny (for a big fat 10K ring) to the tone for foil (for a thin band ladies ring, probably with a diamond) to everything in between, including exactly the same tone as for a pull tab for your MEDIUM size gold rings. In other words, there is no "normal" gold tone. Although MOST of them will be someplace slightly lower in tone than your average pull tab. The lower the tone, the more your eyebrows should go up and your digging speed increase.

You need to gather together all of the gold jewelry you can get your hands on, lay it out on a blanket in a clean spot in your yard, set the sensitivity to AUTO (no need for manual, it's on top of the blanket) and scan everything. Practice getting to know the tones. See what sounds like what. Throw some coins and trash items in there as well.

If you want to succeed with metal detecting you have to approach it scientifically and methodically.

Iam hoping to have the boat ready with a new prop ( since some #$% stole my stainless one) on Tuesday, I really want to hit a sand bar outside of Biscayne bay. I may hit South Beach early at 4am for the low tide then take the boat out later. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Smooth seas and Good luck
Mark