Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first and only Wild Gold Hunt ...PT 1

SurfCutter

Sherbrooke Que.

It was during one of Sandy's visits to hunt and to get stone that I had the opportunity to go for a gold panning hunt with him .

http://www.sandycline.com/

On the given day we loaded up his van and headed out from Montreal and it did not take us long to get the small stream bed . It was not what I expected and to this day I do not know how permission to pan was given . It was a surprise to me in that I don't even think we were out of the city limits of Sherbrooke along the 112 (RT) that we pulled over to the side of the road turned around and parked by what looked like any other under the street or road drain.
We then started to get the equipment out of the van and lock it up , this included the pans crowbars , a small pack dredge and lunch , bug spray etc etc ... We then started to climb down the bank with our gear and work our way up the dry stream bed that had only a trickle of water flowing but from the looks of the bed the water flow in spring must be impressive with the size and quantity of the rocks that are moved .
After what seemed like hours of packing our equipment up this rough bed , it was only a few minute Sandy found the spot we would hunt for the day a small pool of water about 6' deep and 8' across .

Huh ? :unsure:

So began my instruction in the art of hunting wild gold .We started by clearing all the loose rock and stones out of the way to get as deep or as close to the finer sand and mud in th stream bottom in some places you could see the bed rock this was split and cracked into layers that with hammer and chisel or a large crowbar could be pried and split apart. The fine clay was what we were after and as we worked we talked about a range of things . Looking back I now understand a bit more , from what we talked about and why it is that common understanding of what we learn as we get older and try to pass on some idea or clue to a younger person in hopes that it will help them , guide them to better things in life some I got others I missed and learned the hard way ....
After what was a good 3- 4 hours of just moving rock we got down to panning , and Sandy set up and started his small dredge. inch by inch we cleaned and worked that small pool panning and running the dredge.

n/t

it is very interesting, I think it must be a lot of effort and hard work. Can't wait to see how this story turns out. SO far, it's lookin' good! :) Do you also do soapstone sculptures?

Wayne did a lot of it but he had a big old partner. I would not mind trying it though