Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first and best hunt-Repost for the new readers :D

Royal

This is a story about my most productive metal detecting spot out of dozens. It was an amazing experience for a person that was very new to the hobby.

When I returned from my detecting trip to Boyne City and Lake Charlevoix I ordered Fisher 1280x which is still my favorite water detector. I also own a CZ 20 but it is a backup. I think it is the fact that I have hundreds of hours on the bottom now with the 1280 and I know what it is telling me. Many people will brag about this machine or that machine but I figure it is not really the machine that counts but the time you take to learn what it is telling you.

I ordered it on line so it was here within the week and I could not wait to try it out in our local lakes.

My area is full of lakes. In Oakland County alone there are over 420 natural lakes and Cass Lake is the largest. I grew up in a small resort town on the lake, Keego Harbor. It was a town of cottages and the greatest beach in the area. The beach is about a mile long and at the north end there was a private beach called White City Beach. This beach had a swimming raft for those that could afford the .50 cents that it cost to get in.

I remember in the early days of the detecting hobby I would see guys with the detectors swarming that beach, in fact they would detect the whole mile of nice sand beach. As you look at the map the area I am speaking about is to the left of the two red dots. That is all pure sand and where I first swam as a kid. I had no idea if they were finding anything and actually thought they were wasting their time. Years later, after I got interested, I was talking to a guy at work that hunted it in the early days and he said it was just loaded with rings and silver.

This beach is long and it goes out a long way, probably a hundred yards before you are up to your chest. It is all sand with just a few small weed beds. These weed beds are at the edge of the drop and nobody ever swam out to them. No body but fishermen even knew where they were.

White City Beach is long gone now. It was torn down in the late 50

I'd have a ball in a spot like that ! I often think of these guys that search where old Spanish ships are known to have sunk. Or better yet, these people that rush into areas after a hurricane and clean up on old Spanish coins. How much of thrill would that be ??:shocked: Glad you re-posted this one. :thumbup:

until the last few it kept giving me loads of treasure. I always found something but I remember finding three standing liberty halves on one dive
I did not really think much about it at the time because I was new to the hobby and thought everyone was finding stuff like I was.

you and Mikie would do is laugh at me! :( However, I am taking my detector and Lil Brother's scoop with me to Destin this coming Thursday, and plan to try and do better this time. At least there won't be any transmissions on the beach! :lol:

gonna try and get up to my old swimmin grounds on lake Morey. Course with out tanks or hooka, it's gonna be harder to surface dive each time but the water's only about 14 feet.

nobody much does it with scuba and the pickings are usually great!!

I have my hookah running and then my truck breaks down again. I had the trans rebuilt last month 1700 bucks and now I have a vibaration at 55mph. I also have a rattleing in the flywheel area. I htink the viberation is a U joint, not sure but have it in the shop again to be investigated. Can not haul the hookah on the scooter :(

My daughter and grandkids are coming up next week for a few days and Mary is coming up for a week a few days later. I am hoping to get in the water but who knows. I am waiting for some word on the truck.

but it takes a bit of hunting to find them, a little gear and some gonads

we just gave you the detector and told you we were now "Metal Detecting" You dun good:thumbup:

Thanks for the repost. I tell you, I was right there with you trying to pull your arse into a little deeper water.

I know that areas like that here in Arkansas are virgin. Oh, some of the lakes are drained every so often, but for every one that is drained, there are a dozen that are not.

It will be fun pulling the travel trailer up to those beaches and wearing them out, come retirement.

Did you ever find the mother lode at White City Beach????

aj

if you have a beach that will hold, lets say 100 people at a given time. That is not really a big beach either. Lets say the beach is full weekends for three months a summer. That 12 weekends=24 days. This does not count the week days which are probably just as full on nice days.

The beach will hold 100 people but in a days time there are probably 3 times that many people come and go. I would guess mort than that.

That is 4200 people a summer, not coounting weekdays and heavy use days.

Lets say 1% of those people lose something valuable and you can bet more than that lose stuff. That is 42 items a summer. Now you just know it is much more than that but I am trying to prove a point.

Lets say the beach has been there since 1950, many of the beaches I have hunted were there since the 1920's or earlier. But lets use 1950. That means that over 2000 items have been lost there in that length of time.

If there was a diving raft ever there, all of the goodies that were ever lost there are still there. All of it.

That beach at Cass Lake has been there since the depression and there will be many hundreds of people there on any given summer day and it was the same way when I was a kid.

...that they are RENEWABLE resources. Those figures you speak of just keep on keepin' on. I love it.

I have some beaches that are close and with having only a land detector presently, I hit the lane up to mid-thigh deep after each big holiday and at certain times in between.

I don't find as much as a deep water hunter, but I find stuff each and every time

When Virginia graduates in May 2008, we're going to Pelican Beach (near Destin) Florida. I informed her that I would be making that little move with a new excal in tow. :biggrin:

I have a laundry list of stuff to buy between now and Dec 08 but buy it, I will. Us old farts gotta keep our beaches clean ya know. Lets see, theres the ole' party barge, the hooka, the excal, the farmerjohn, depth gauge, bc....oh yeah!

Just doin' my civic duty. :lol:

aj

I too remember when I could go out and come home with a great haul.

Thanks for the re-read bud.

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t