Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best find in my own backyard

As the title says, this is the best find for me in the 5 years I've owned my Equinox 800. To help everyone understand why this is my best, let me explain a little.
We live on a rural 4 acre property that we purchased 20 years ago. The property as we purchased was an undeveloped piece of land with no facilites at all in Southern Oregon. No sign of ever having been developed. Just reminants of an old wire fence. I've got 469 hours of detecting on my Equinox, and in that time I have only found one silver coin, a 1952 dime. Have found lots of coins, several 925 rings and half dozen gold pieces.
I just purchased a new 10"X5" Coltek coil for my Equinox so I buried a few coins in a spot in my backyard to compare my 11" coil to the new Coltek coil.. Once I finished my comparison, I swung the coil a little ways from my test area and got a high signal near 30, but not too strong. I thought I should try digging to see what it was. The ground here in the summer time is like a rock, so I took my small hand pick and had to go down about 4 inches till I got the signal out of the ground. Using my pinpointer, this is what I found. I always thought that silver coins in the ground would be very tarnished, but the photo is just how it looked once the dirt was
Hanson backyard.jpg
Hanson backyard 2.jpg
Hanson backyard 2.jpg
washed off. The coin was near where the old fence reminants were, and I believe this coin was lost by someone who was building the fence a hundred years ago. Of course I did more detecting in the area in my backyard, and have found old bullets and shell casings, but no more coins.

Nice find and right in your own backyard. You have an advantage living on the west coast in that you are near the San Francisco mint. I'm sure there are a lot more "S" mintmark in your part of the country. Most silver coins that are dug here in the midwest come out of the ground untarnished like yours. I run mine under a faucet and do not rub them in any way. The results are about the same as your coin.

Beautiful Barber!! I love my 10x5 coiltek as it has helped me make many great finds.

Beautiful find.
Could have even been lost by a hunter.
I've fallen asleep next to a tree Many times.
And Everytime I lost something.
Start looking around tree's.
And anyplace where a hunter may have taken an un expected nap.
I harvested my best buck ever sleeping.
250lb+. Yeah we get em big here in the farm belt of Ohio.
Snoring away.
He snapped a twig. Woke me up.
Scope was useless at 40'.
Sighted down the barrel.
Ran down over the 50' bank overlooking the river.
Barely got a hundred ft.
Took a Jeep to recover him.
Moral of the story.
Detect anywhere a hunter may have taken a break and lost an heirloom. Lost my Favorite large Case folder that day. All brass ...

Gotta love those random finds! That old fencing had to be put up by somebody, or maybe a hunter passed through the area. Who knows, but it was there from somebody/some reason.