Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My AMAZING Garrett Story.

OK, Heres my story. Starts slow, but gets better. I wanted to get into metal detecting. So I went to Walmart and got a Bounty Hunter 2200. I took it out, and we found some interesting things in my back yard (a 12" long all metal toy car that looks like a derby racer, an OLD plow head, an OLD metal bowl all rusted up, a car fender!!!, a car axle, etc).
At the time I didnt know any brands, and was metal detector ignorant. Completely. BUT I knew the box of the Bounty Hunter said that it would pick up coins as deep as 11 inches. It wouldnt pickup ANYTHING further than 4" INCLUDING MY NISSAN MAXIMA! This was wide open, no descrimination. So I took it back to wallyworld and go my $ back to find a better one.
There were no local dealers, closest one that sold anything real was 45 minutes. We went there after a phone conversation, (1 hour away each way) and he NEGLECTED to tell me that HE DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING IN STOCK!!!
So I went to Ebay. I began searching chatrooms, ebay, forums, etc. I did this relentlessly for 2 weeks, and it was like a drug; I couldnt get enough. I couldnt decide brand, features, price, etc. I almost got fed up and said forget it all. I was obsessed, and waaaay too stressed over my decision, which I still hadnt made.
I bidded on several on ebay and always got outbid. Used Garretts (cheaper ones) are going for more than new retail prices!!!
Then it happened. The amazing part.
Things at my home arent so good. My son is Autistic. He has anger and rage issues, and is almost always mad and explosive. We had decided this was FINALLY something we could do for fun, which added to my stresses.
I found a guy who was local (30 minutes away) who had not one. but TWO Garrett MDs for sale. (I needed two) The auction was still early, and I placed my bid for $50, and then emailed him to see if a local pickup was OK. We chatted, I called him up, and spoke to him on the phone. I asked him if he would end the auction early and sell me the detectors if I drove to his house with cash TODAY. (I wanted to go detecting that day, not 2 weeks later!) He said YES! I asked how much, expecting $500 or more, and he said $75.00 for BOTH! I said, thats not enough. (trying not to sound too exstatic I said "I'll give you at least $100, $75.00 isnt fair to you, its TOO cheap." He agreed happily, and arranged to meet me that day. It never happened. The detectors continued getting bids, and I was sweating. I knew if they got too high he'd change his mind. 2 days later I finally got a call through, with bidding nearing $75.00 (though theres no doubt in my mind they'd have sold for $500-$600 minimum) at the last days and minutes. I drove to his house and got my 2 detectors. He had asked what I was going to use them for in one of the first conversations, and I explained that my son was autistic (Asperger's Syndrome, PDD, ODD, and Skitsophrenic) (seriously) and that we were going to go out as a family and start a new pasttime hobby. He said "Im sorry, but I cant sell them to you" But they are yours free. I tried to pay him. He wouldnt take it. I drove home VERRRRRRRY happily with the family and my Garrett GTA Ultra 1000 & TR Discriminator!!! (both looked like new)
I then contacted Garrett, and they were SOOO friendly. They sent me free of charge a VHS video on the GTA 1000, an owners manual, and 2 new battery compartments since mine were all cracked up and broken in half. The detectors otherwise were both like new.
Everything was free, and only the batterys costed me. Now I'm back on ebay looking for another metal detector for my wife.

Great story with an even greater ending, Chileheadplumber!!

With your determination and knowledge you've already picked up, you and your family should be in store for hours of family fun and togetherness.

Keep us up to date on your finds and experiences.

:twodetecting::detecting:

That is a Great story with a wonderful ending to a new start. Keep us posted on this Great Beginning.:detecting:
HH

That is really a good story and even better to know that there are still a lot of people with a heart for others...

I like to hear this.

Good luck with your family hunts and I hope it will do you good.

Eric.

:thumbup:Nice, very nice. I'm sure everyone's smiling now. Myself included. There's the proof, :clapping:still some solid people out there! Best of luck in the family hunting:twodetecting:. Keep us up to date with your finds.

:garrett:
HH
Steve
:canadaflag:

Sounds like the angels were batting for you.:) You were more then deserving for those "gifts". Hopefully these machines will get your son out and allow a great release for his anger. I too have a son living at home with similar behaviors. You just have to take one day at a time. Good luck, and if you have any questions, please fire away. :)
<center>

God Bless Garrett and the man with the detectors.:clap:I hope all goes great for you and yours. Have fun.:wiggle:

Thats great everything finally worked out. Hope the
best for you all, and hope you get a good deal on a
3rd machine. I've done a bit of e-baying, and you
never know whats gonna happen as far as bids. I've
bought stuff that went unbid till the last minute,
and was easily grabbed, and others I've had to go
to the last seconds fighting them off. Sounds like a
really nice guy, and sounds like Garrett came though
also. Good luck with the hunting.
BTW...A friend of mine happened to buy a detector about
3 months before I did, but I just recently found out about
it. He bought I believe a bounty hunter "landstar" or sumtin
like that. He said he hasn't used ot much yet, but
wants to make a beach trip before too long. Maybe I'll
put the ace 250 up against his and see how they compare.
I think his was rated at 10 inches supposably. Hope it
does, cuz the ace 250 really will do 10 inches with the
9x12 coil. :)
MK

I just purchased my first Garrett detector and I would like to know how it will stack up to other detectors.
I have owned Bounty Hunter and found a bunch of stuff from the War of 1812. I then bought a Fisher CZ-5 and I thought that it was great but I wanted better. I checked the internet and did all the reviews and finally decided on the Garrett GTI 2500. I called Kellyco just for advice and they told me that Minelab was better and that they get the 2500's returned all the time. Garrett said differnetly! Is the minelab really that much better or is the Garrett 2500 a really smokin' machine and will it go really deep and does it do all the target Iding properly? Please let me know what you think.
Louisianaman