Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

mxt

jerry-nebraska

I am new to metal detecting and would like what ever info I can get on the mxt is it fairly simple to learn, or would a beginner be better off getting a less expensive model?

MXT is a turn on and go machine. It is very simple to use and instructions are minimal. The only learning curve is learning the "sounds" of the machine.

The MXT is a very good machine and an easy one to learn. You can turn knobs can't you??:crazy: The more you use it the more you'll get to know your machine. Yes, even since it doesn't have "tone ID", it does make different hit signals. You'll learn that as time goes by. I've had mine for 6 years and wouldn't part with it. It's the #1 detector in my book. But that's only my humble opinion. This is a great place for help. Lots of knowledge flowing in and out. HH Nancy

Starting out, read the manual, set the controls to the presets and start hunting. After you've played a bit, you'll have some questions for sure. Then come back here and throw them out. You'll quickly learn there's more to learn about this hobby than just swinging a detector. By the way, don't be concerned or confused if the Target ID doesn't always jive with what's in the ground. It's pretty accurate a good share of the time, but is a "best guess" by the machine which doesn't always get it right.

For sure, practice swinging your coil close to the ground at a moderate rate and make sure you don't lift it like a pendulum at the end of each swing. AND overlap the coverage from swing to swing by about a third. If you get into really trashy areas you'll see the display bounce all over the place because the coil is reading too many targets at once rather than displaying one at a time. This will be frustrating so while learning move to an area that is more forgiving. The best cure for mutiple targets is a smaller coil, but start with what you have. Have fun and get back to us.
HH
BB

Does anyone have one of these and how do you like it. Does it compare to the White's Mxt? Interested in gold and coins. Thanks.

The lobo is probably a bit better prospecting machine and does a pretty good job as a general detector, but does not have the target id screen. The MXT does have the screen and is a very capable general detector that's also quite good on gold. If I were considering the two (I do own an MXT and several other Tesoro models) if I planned to mainly hunt for gold nuggets, I'd go with the Lobo. If I were likely to be hunting coins (especially) and relics, I'd probably opt for the MXT because of the tid. Just my opiniion and truthfully, I think either is capable of doing a good job for you.
Good luck deciding,
BB

Knobs and switches are intuitive and a glance will tell you how you are setup. Menu driven detectors DFX and Explorers (have owned and used both) are easy to miss set then you detect for hours and wonder what you walked across when you notice something is set wrong. Maybe I am just old school and have a feel for a knob.

I own both, the Lobo Super Traq is by far my favorite Tesoro ever made. But if I could only own one detector it would be the MXT, it is by far my favorite detector to date. The MXT is a little hotter on coins than the LST and I think the LST is about equal to the MXT for small gold. You can't go wrong with either one, but I tend to dig less iron with the MXT with the iron probability VDI. Good luck on your decision.

The MXT is probably the better of the Whites machines, in my opinion. Yes, it is designed as a coin and gold nugget machine.
If you want to just hunt gold nuggets then the Whites GMT is what your looking for. The MXT is really very easy. The DVD/VHS training tutorial is excellent.
When I first got my MXT (used) I sat in front of the TV with my machine and followed along. No problem at all. In fact I prefer an Instructional DVD. Having to read a manual and figuring it out that way is for the birds, regardless of the make and model of the machine or the company that makes them.
You are shown a quick start method and has you up and running from then then on. BUT you must read the manual because there is alot of information there.
The DFX is way too much....high learning curve as is the XLT I am told, in my opinion. If you go with the MXT you won't regret it, unless your a TECHINCAL sort of person and like all those bells and whistles and switching programs etc, etc, then the DFX and XLT might suite you.

The MXT is a deep seeker. I have an Ace 250 by Garrett. I covered a couple ball fields with it. Later I went back over the same field with the MXT and dug up stuff the Ace never even dreamed was there, of course who's to say I didn't miss it the first time around?

Good luck,
Robert R

BarberBill pretty much covered it all.I started finding coins right away with my MXT. But, mostly it was fun and easy to learn. In clean places I like to use the relic program as much as the coin mode. Some guys have mentioned that they feel they get a bit more depth using the relic program. I like it because of the tone ID. Most important, as Barber Bill mentioned, this is the place for the answers to your questions. Good Luck.