Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Question

I have an MXT and have had pretty good luck with it, BUT I've found that when detecting in areas such as campgrounds, it will find more clad pennies than any other coin. I like to use it in the coin/jewerlery mode when in an areas like these and at the end of the day, is all I end up with is a large collection of new pennies, and just a couple nickles or dimes. In areas where there is less trash and iron, I put it into prospecting mode and have found older stuff such as square nails. I tested it by dropping my gold wedding ring onto the ground and find that it shows about 32, which from what I understand is right for gold. Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to "expand" my learning curve for more sucess in finding silver coins or jewerly.

I believe it not uncommon to find good amounts of pennies because most people will not bother to bend down and pick them up,or they may have some silly superstition of tails up when they do see one,so the earth ends up consuming them.If you don't mind taking time for a good read"The MXT Edge"by Jeff Foster is well worth the time.Whites also has excellent technic videos that has proved to me to be instrumental.I see you've been a registered user of the forum for two yrs.I have been on forum a couple of months and have found it very useful.GOOD HUNTING:wave:

I'm thinking you have a location problem. You're hunting where there are more modern coins and especially modern pennys lost than other targets. I've hunted lots of campgrounds with the same results along with the occasional odds and ends and plenty of bottle caps and pull tabs.
HH
BB

That may be part of the problem Barberbill...still trying to learn and campgrounds are a good place this time of year, cool, damp earth, no crowds yet. Still trying to learn the sounds and VDI's associated with certain items. There's gotta be silver coins, ear rings, rings and other good stuff laying around. It's fustrating to see all the rings and good coins others find using the same MD I have.

Anyplace there are targets is a good place to learn, but to find the really good stuff it has more to do with location, location, location. New campgrounds, newer money........older campgrounds.......:shrug: This is where some research comes in real handy, if you can find a campground used from the 50's-60's area should give you more of a chance for some silver.

Thanks Larry...this particular campground has been around for many years. I spoke with the groundskeeper yesterday and he told me about a place where a metal detector had found a large cent a few years ago. He also showed me a location he found that had been built by either gold prospectors or someone before that made of old stones piled up into a partial wall-like structure. That's where I found a square nail while in relic and prospecting mode. He told me that he has found several rings hanging on trees next to the creek where people still go to pan for gold. A very helpful guy. I plan to spend alot more time there, but needed help with some of the settings.

That sounds like the place to hunt then......just a matter of getting your coil over the target. Good luck and keep us posted.....:thumbup:

Hey L2C. I've only been detecting since mid December of 09' and only had my MXT for about a month and a half. I just want to say listen to these guys and apply what they say. Keep trying to find new spots that are promising and try to make sure you have the equipment you need to be most effective for the spot you're hunting i.e. coils, tools. Inform yourself,be persistent and put in the time and it will pay off. This is what I have done and I feel like I am having some good success and progressing daily. Hope that helps.
HH
Scott

L2C - Turn your sensitivity as high as it will run stable, keep the discrimination low and if you're in much trash switch to the smaller coil(s) if you have one, and be persistent.
BB

Thanks BarberBill...I'll give it a try, Im also using a DD Eclipse coil because of the high iron content in these soils and also because of the high trash (bottle caps & pull tabs) in the areas. Meet up with me one of these days and I'll takeyou out to this location!