Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT or DFX?

tnfishdaddy

I currently own an Ace 250. I am looking to upgrade to a little better machine. I have always heard good things about the Whites and want to give them a try. I am looking for an all around machine. I will mostly be searching old home sites for coins but, I also do a little civil war relic hunting and I go to the beach 3-4 times a year so I need an all around machine. What is the biggest difference between the two machines besides the price? I would like to hear the pros and cons and what everybody thinks. Thanks.

The biggest diff other than price is the learning curve. If you get the DFX, be prepared to put in some serious learning effort. If you run the DFX in preset modes and do not learn to tweek it for best performance, you would probily get better performance from the MXT.

For relics id say the MXT, for the beach... deffently the DFX, coins, especially in trashy areas id say the DFX. The MXT has a better ground balancing system and a bit more power in the box. Its a great machine to turn on and go. Because of the power the MXT has the sensitivity and maybe even depth in those areas not cluttered with trash. However, i prefer the DFX because i travel full time and have found it to be a great all around machine.

I've had one MXT and two DFX and I still have the MXT so what does that tell ya? The MXT is a workhorse for relics and coins. However, if you're in bad ground and need more filters then the DFX would is your choice. The MXT has more power in my opinion for the deep stuff and with the DD shooter its awsome in trash. Just my opinion.

Tnfishdaddy:

Please go to DFX forum.ask Larry(IL) if he will be kind enough for filling you in on the attributes of the DFX..He is very qualified.
I am fairly certain he and his wife also use the MXT.he's a good guy and will help you very much in your selection process.
You must remember though the bottom line choice will be yours. Each and every one of us feel the detector we use is best.
Thats not saying we do not know anything, it's just, sometimes, a matter of opinion differs from model ,to model. What works for me, or someone else may not be your idea of the perfect detector. I have used many different makes and models and find just about all of them work very well. I on the other hand do not like some of the models and makes because of how they work, or what options they offer etc etc..but that does not make them a bad machine. It just means I did not care for them. I prefer the XLt.it's in my opinion an almost do it all detector. It has depth, adjustments for just about every hunting need and will work most places well..Even the beach..but saying that the DFX works better at the beach..It has two frequency's and the higher frequency is more in tune for whats lost at the beach IE: Rings.The Xlt will hunt the beach just not as well.........See what I mean about preference, opinion and detecting???? Check them all out.
Get opinions and then decide what will do the most of what you want. No machine will be perfect....

I started with the Ace 250 and used for about 2 years. Two months ago I bought a DFX. I don't know about the MXT, but I am very happy with the DFX. It does so much more than the Ace 250 that they aren't in the same league. I still have the 250 and my grandsons use it and love it because it is so easy. If you get the DFX be prepared to spend time learning how to use it. I am still in the learning stage. But I was happy using the pre-set programs. Good luck

Buy the best machine you can afford. If you don't, you will always be wondering what you might be missing. One or two missed targets, especially on the beach, will sometimes pay for the detector (and lots of accessories). Other factors to consider is simplicity. The MXT and M6 are very good turn on and go hunting machines. The DFX is a top of the line, fully adjustable, custom programmable for your hunting style and ground conditions. Although the DFX has a longer leaning curve, it works good right out of the box with the Pre Amp turned up to 3 or 4. Dewcon summed it up best, I think.