Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Loves the Gold-2nd Gold Ring this Week

JimmyD

I headed out early this AM to a spot I have hit many times but is very trashy. I have been talking about trying to dig gold signals and seeing my buddy's new Fisher GoldBug I thought today was the day. I went to an area I had killed and started digging 16-40 VDI signals on the MXT. After about 20 or so pull tabs I got a good 24 signal along the walk. I decided to dig and I am glad I did. I flipped the plug and found a nice 10K ring. It is old, worn, been repaired and has initials on the inside ?.V.B in script. It is clearly marked 10K and the initials on the front seem backwards...Strange? It looks like a backwards "J". I just knew there was gold out there. I did find two other rings, both toy. Unfortunately digging all the pull tabs is a killer and it was really hot out there. I gave up and went back to max discrimination. Found a bunch of glad including 5 nickels which is a nickel record for me out there. The link below is the video of my digging the ring.

Metal Detecting Gold Ring-2nd in a Week
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clBYsBwhQgY[/video]

Nice ring and the nickels are always icing on the cake . Congrats nice finds and good video . Thanks for sharing with us .

Harold

Could be way off here but my thoughts went immediately to sealing wax. Wouldn't backwards intitials make a "forwards" impression in hot wax to seal a letter? Just a thought.

Turfsurfer said:
Could be way off here but my thoughts went immediately to sealing wax. Wouldn't backwards intitials make a "forwards" impression in hot wax to seal a letter? Just a thought.

Sounds like a plan. Good idea

That's a great find. It looks quite old. Maybe shortly after the government required the markings of the gold content. Good job on the nickels and you dig enough pull-tabs, you'll find the rings as you know. HH, Nancy

I agree with Turf Surfer, that was also my first thought on the ring, used for sealing wax on letters, which would make it fairly old, nice finds.

Awesome ! Congrats.
HH
Scott

Nice ring, and it brings up a question. What are the optimum VDI numbers for digging the rings and avoiding as many tabs as possible? Is the pulltab reject switch recommended? What would be the optimum minimum discrimination? I know it depends on the site and I would dig it all at some sites. But what about the most trashy ones where you get tired of digging every single pulltab? Any other advice on how to find those rings??? Thanks and good luck to all. James