Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Is this normal

markl59

I have had my mxt for over a year now, and I am having a hard time maintaining a stable threshold. I have owned an xlt, and I own the classic but traded the xlt for the mxt so I would have less settings to fool with. I noticed something yesterday, If I hunt in the C/J I can only get a stable threshold at a sensitivity around 6, sometimes 8, If I run in the relic mode I can run the sensitivity at around +1 and still maintain a stable threshold. My question is this is there something wrong with the detector, and if not what am I loosing hunting in the relic mode, ( other than icons which I do not look at anyway).

Mark, You and many others have that buzzing threshold but most get used to it. I to have the XLT & kept it. I keep taking that MXT out but I always go back to my XLT. That is the main complaint about the MXT. Whites should of put a volume control on it with a back light. Those 2 things I like about the XLT. When you switch modes you have some filtering going on. If you hunt with the trigger in the middle position the threshold will stable out and yes being in relic mode helps. I was going to sell my unit but all the guys swear by this machine so I will give it more time

The relic mode,trigger centered, is quieter and I can run in the + gain. You are loosing nothing in the relic mode and you are not loosing any depth to the XLT. I like the the two tone in this mode. Rob

Mark,

The MXT has a very high gain circuit. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a volume control.

The Relic mode has a bit more filtering than C&J, so it will tend to run smoother. I personnally
prefer the C&J mode at low DISC because the two tones drive me batty and I don't like the audio
nulling on me because of possible target masking, so I don't run Relic with trigger forward either.

You didn't say anything about what coil you use, or how mineralized your ground is, nor how iron
infested your hunting grounds are. Here are some things that can help get a more stable threshold:

Switch to the DD coil if you are using the stock 950. It runs much quieter in mineralized soil.

If there is a lot of decomposed iron, consider locking the ground balance after balancing the detector.

Set the threshold to where it is barely audible, or even slightly below audible.

Last, but not least, back off on the gain some. Setting it at 8 is plenty deep. Then when you find a target,
go into the + for a firmer TID.

Hope this helps.

This will be my fourth year with it,i have the 10X5 DD coil on it,tried the stock coil for an hour and changed to the DD and its stayed on ever since.
I always use relic mode trigger forward full gain +3
been having great success with it,and have just bought another one of ebay at a bargain price.

Thanks for all your help, to answer you Rudy I have the following coils the, 5.3 Eclipse I have two DD coils I measure with a tape measure and get about 3" X 6" Eclipse shooter DD and the other one is 5" X 9" Eclipse DD. My ground in the prospecting mode checks at 56. I hunt old parks and an old boy scout camp the camp has some trash the parks are loaded I have always used the stock coil. I bought the detector as a package deal, thats why I have the coils. I have used the 5.3 in the trashy parks and found some good finds some barber and mercury dimes. but I always turn the threshold off after balancing because it is so noisy, I have always hunted with a threshold, So I am not used to a silent type search. I have metal detected for about twenty years I am not new to detecting just this detector. I have owned whites 5900 di pro, surfmaster II, Garrett Grandmaster hunter II, Whites XLT, Fisher cz70 pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, I currently own The MXT and the Classic 5. I appreciate the input I heard that locking in my ground helps somewhat. Any tips would be appreciated thanks again.