Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mxt audio

corkie

Just got a new MXT not had a chance to use it outside yet because of the lousy weather over here.With the disc set anywhere between 0-10 the audio is so low I can just about hear it, its only when you get in the plus numbers I get any real volume.Tried 3 sets of phones all seem to be the same.Is this normal with the MXT? I have a Tejon and a Hawkeye and the phones work ok on these.Maybe I need another set just for the MXT.Can anybody help?.

Thanks in advance,Mike [uk]

Mike, How does the audio sound without the headphones in the normal range.... The audio should be good but definitely enhanced in the +1-+3 area... If the audio is really weak, maybe someone should take a look at it... Do you have someone close that you could compare... Too, with the detector on, pull the batterys out, wait a minute or so and put them back in... Hope this helps, Richardntn

Something doesn't sound right. I have to have my headphones turned all the way down or my ears would explode while pinpointing.

Mike,

The MXT is NOT a low volume detector by any means. Quite the contrary.

However, it does not have a volume control per se. Since this is a new detector and
it is also new for you, you need to be a little more specific as to what audio you are
referring to. Here are some additional hints. I am assuming you are somewhat new
at this. If not, my apologies.

MXT's like relatively high, high impedance earphones for best audio performance.
You can rule out any earphone problems by not using them in these tests. The built-in
speaker should be loud enough.

In general, the discrimination control does not affect the audio volume, other than
nulling the audio for targets whose conductivity is below the discrimination level.

If you are referring to the backgroun threshold volume, that is adjusted by the threshold
knob on the bottom left. It is good practice to set it as low as possible, while still being
able to hear it.

The next control that (somewhat) adjusts the target volume is the sensitivity or gain control.
Thats the knob above the discrimination knob. It is really a multi-purpose knob. As you crank it
up, the microprocessor inside adjusts the pre-amp gain (hey, it's not just the XLTs and DFXs that
have adjustable pre-amp gain :)), as well as the sensitivity and target audio. If you crank the knob
into the + region, you will also get a boost in the audio volume and ultimately you'll lose audio
modulation.

Using the built-in speaker (and fresh batteries) do the following:

Set the sensitivity to about 8.
Turn discrimination to 0.
Set the track switch to lock.
Flip the program toggle to Coin and Jewelry.
Flip the three way toggle switch under LCD display pod to center position.
Turn on the detector.
Set the threshold so that it is just audible.

Now, sweep a coin like a quarter (oops, you are in the UK. Pick a coin)
a few inches from the coil.

You should hear a pretty healthy beep. If not, something is very wrong
with your detector.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about your other detectors but it may be a simple matter of whether or not they are mono or stereo connection.

Find someone who has this switch on their headphones and try it with your MXT. I use the SunRay Pro headphones with this switch. This allows the same headset to be used on any brand detector.

It also has a clipper or sound limiter circuit that can be switched on or off. I use this to limit the sound when over a large target or when pinpointing. The limiter does not affect normal or low level volume at all so you do not miss anything.

Let us know what you find out.

Lee

Mike,
I've had a MXT for about 3years now Man what a machine! You gotta love Whites...I've used a set of Killer Bees, the whole time,the volume control,and the mono-stereo switch, you can't beat! good luck and.Happy Hunting
Greg
:detecting:

Thanks all for your advice and Rudy sorry I meant gain not disc,tried your test picked up a coin at 8" loud and clear on the speaker.Will invest in some high impedence phones,how about nugget busters?
Mike [UK]

Not familiar with the nugget busters. I use the Killer B's and they work great on the MXT. I am sure
there are many other brands that are equally good.

i use Koss TD 80's and have to turn the volume down on each ear. Great machine. Found a tiny little cross the other day, kept falling thru the scoop holes. Learn the sounds.