Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

mx5 first hour

petew

Not much on finds,but a very light and well balanced machine.Tones are great,no trouble telling what's under the coil.Accurate depth,hits my 8 inch clad quarter hurried 2 years ago,numbers only jump 2 and for a deep coin it's accurate.Overall I'm impressed by this unit,well thought out,the headphone Jack don't bother me,I use wireless. This mx5 is definitely not a beginner machine,and it has everything I would want,fast light,good Id at depth,I'm pleased.

I don't know how they can make them so good and affordable, performance without the high price. I had mine out today in a very old spot, maybe get a post up tomorrow with pics. You are going to enjoy it after you get some more hours on it, batteries last about 50 hours, I'm on my second set now

He hehe!
Knew you would like it. Sometimes in a coin spill, you''ll hear a myriad of tones, but single coins, etc. ID pretty good. I found the square tabs would hit at 22-24 and the nickel at 18-20. That high tone squeal on silver really stops you in your tracks. After a while, I found I could hear the tab, foil and coins tones without looking at the screen. I love the tune it plays over odd-shaped trash. I know the more serious users use one or two tone, but I'm having FUN!

I have a 10x12 coil coming in the mail,can't wait to try it out,I like the desperation and depth of large dd coils.great machine tho,I run in 8 tones also

Well,I defiantly can't wait for the 10x12, this spider coil is hard to pinpoint with,but I found a lot of pillars, some clad and one wheat.I ran in 2 tone,iron knocked out,this machine runs smooth at 2 bars from max.one quarter was about 6 inches.I like it so far.

A guy can get close to target center in the Coin mode, then eyeball thru the coil center a place on the ground where target signal is loudest. Move the coil a short ways away, hit the pinpoint button and zero in on it. I have de-tuned the pin point all-metal by moving coil center slightly away from target and go back to coin mode then go back to pinpoint to shrink the signal down in size/surface area. If done properly while eyeballing an imaginary center of the hole of the Spider coil to a place on the ground, a brass probe can be stuck into the ground and touch the coin or target.

Petew, the 9" Spider which is a concentric coil is the easiest to pinpoint with with only the 5.3 Eclipse being easier. In general all concentric scare better for pinpointing and determining trash from good targets over DD's.

petew said:
Well,I defiantly can't wait for the 10x12, this spider coil is hard to pinpoint with,but I found a lot of pillars, some clad and one wheat.I ran in 2 tone,iron knocked out,this machine runs smooth at 2 bars from max.one quarter was about 6 inches.I like it so far.

I have a 7 inch quarter in my yard for two years.I know it has old iron around it,I just dug a hole,dropped it in, measured 7 inches.every detector I've owned with the dd coil hit it,some better but they all did.this mx5 concentric coil don't see it at all.my 10x12 will be here tomorrow, I'll wait an c

Petew, try your 7" quarter in 2 tone wide open disc. You should hear the high squeal of the quarter mixed in with iron. I'm not saying a DD isn't better at unmasking conductive targets in iron but generally speaking they pp better. I think with the iron knocked out you are experiencing target masking with the concentric.

petew said:
I have a 7 inch quarter in my yard for two years.I know it has old iron around it,I just dug a hole,dropped it in, measured 7 inches.every detector I've owned with the dd coil hit it,some better but they all did.this mx5 concentric coil don't see it at all.my 10x12 will be here tomorrow, I'll wait an c

Using the 5.3 Eclipse coil and hunting in Coin mode using One Tone Audio with the first 3 segments of iron notched out is how I run it in iron infested sites. This setting makes the MX5 a beast in iron, every bit as fast and quick as the benchmark in working in heavy iron and that is the Tesoro Bandido with the 5.75 concentric coil.

Well,got the 10x12 on the mx5 and it hits my 7 inch coin at 3 bars from full sens, and with no problem at all.I'm amazed at how clear that big coil hits it with all the iron around it.even the at pro struggled some,the mx5 with the 10x12 had no issues.great coil for this machine.

I'm debating on a new unit but as I mentioned I kinda prefer a dual frequency. Have any of you guys tried the mx5 on a salt water beach or submerged the unit? I heard it could take a water hunt like the AT-PRO? Maybe i am wrong. I am just reviewing reviews. .

finnfoto said:
I'm debating on a new unit but as I mentioned I kinda prefer a dual frequency. Have any of you guys tried the mx5 on a salt water beach or submerged the unit? I heard it could take a water hunt like the AT-PRO? Maybe i am wrong. I am just reviewing reviews. .
Haven't been near salt water (hours away) but I do know only the coil and shaft are immersible.

I tried my MX-5 on wet salt but all I had was the concentric coil. It would not pick up a quarter I dropped in a 4-5" deep hole. I have not tried it with a DD coil.

finnfoto said:

Fletch88 said:
Petew, try your 7" quarter in 2 tone wide open disc. You should hear the high squeal of the quarter mixed in with iron. I'm not saying a DD isn't better at unmasking conductive targets in iron but generally speaking they pp better. I think with the iron knocked out you are experiencing target masking with the concentric.

No, concentrics pp better. The DDs do good in the left/right axis but struggle in the front/back axis.

-pete

Fletch88 said:
I tried my MX-5 on wet salt but all I had was the concentric coil. It would not pick up a quarter I dropped in a 4-5" deep hole. I have not tried it with a DD coil.
• What type of "wet salt" was it? A neutral type beach sand similar to that in most of Florida, or some ugly beach sand with a lot of irony black sand such as found on many California, Oregon and Washington beaches?

• Which Concentric coil did you use?

• Did you fill the hole after dropping the quarter in it? That can make a difference, or should I say using an open hole can make a difference, to the negative.

• What settings were you using?

• Was the quarter laying flat-to-the-coil, or was it very canted or on-edge?

• I used the MX5 on some bad sand, with both the stock 9" Concentric spider coil and the 6½" Concentric coil and a 4" to 5" quarter wouldn't have been a problem.

Monte