Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Multi-frequency Advantages? (Long sorry)

Brainwasher

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but maybe someone can help me out here. I have a pretty good grasp on the differences in how the multi-frequency detector and the single frequency detector operate (thanks Mike), but now I have to ask: Does a multi-frequency detector simultaneously running 28 frequencies from 1.4 Hz to 100 Hz have a better chance of finding an object than a single frequency detector running say 14 Hz? Is the lower end of the multi-frequency detector more likely to find more deep conductive items, and the higher end more likely to find smaller less conductive items, than the single frequency detector running somewhere in the middle would find? Is the difference even going to be noticeable?
The reason I'm asking is that I can recall using my Tesoro Silver Sabre to find several three ring bullets in a small field. I hit the field quite thoroughly...so I thought. The next time I hunted the area, I found a few more bullets with the MXT, but this time there were no three ring bullets. I pulled only Enfield bullets. I know lead is lead, but I can't help but wonder if the frequency change and maybe the conductivity of the lead from a different lead source was the reason I missed the Enfields before. IF, and it is a big if, the reason I found the Enfields was due to a change in frequency, would I have been more likely to have found all the bullets at one time while using a multi-frequency detector? I'm getting ready to buy a new single frequency detector (F75) and I want to make sure I'm not missing the boat here. I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but in general, let's say you have a small gold earring, a lead bullet, a brass button, and a silver dime all separated by about ten feet in an open field. Could I count on both the single frequency and the multi-frequency machine to find all four items if I ran the coil over each of them, or would one have an advantage over the other? Thank you for you help. jeff

The F-75 is not a single frequency detector. See the post under the F-75 classroom. Look under form index (at top of this page), go to the F75 classroom. There is a post there, and the F75 can be set to something like seven or ten different frequencies between 12 and 13 kHz. As for your question posted above, it is a very good question, and the Explorers do use 27 frequencies, all at once, which makes them slower than a single freq machine, but gives them an incredible advantage. However, for some reason, they are not real big on gold, or maybe they are but their users don't dig those particular signals due to the fact that's where lots of trash hits on their screen. Maybe some guys that do allot of beach hunting with their Explorers can tell you different. You would think that the Explorers are good on gold because their brother the Excalibur leads the pack for beach and under water detectors and also is a multi frequency detector. I do know my SE loves lead, and lead and gold are real close in comparison. IMHO the multi frequency machine would be your best bet to find different types of targets verses a single frequency machine that would specialize at just one. Although many single frequency machines can pick up lots of different targets, the question is at what depth, next to what trash, and in how heavily mineralized soil, with what type of electrical interference present. Sounds like allot, because it is allot, and I for one would believe a multi frequency detector would have a significant advantage, regularly.

Yep, I saw where the F75 has several different frequencies, but my understanding is it is only putting one of those frequencies in the ground at a time and the channels are there mostly to cancel out interference. Since the frequency shift is all within pretty close to the 13 Hz range, I really wonder how much, if any, advantage the Explorers have by simultaneously putting more frequencies at a higher and lower range from like 1.5 to 100 Hz into the ground. With all things being equal, to include the skill of the operators, is the Explorer going to find smaller or deeper objects that the F75 would miss or should they both pretty much hit on anything that's there? Will there be a significant depth difference or will the differences between the multi-frequency detector and the one putting one frequency into the ground at a time be so negligible that one would not really notice, or is the difference significant? I really appreciate the input and opionions.

I can't offer any scientific data to support or reject the notion that a MF machine is better than a SF machine. I can offer you some trends that could shed some light on the subject. At one time there were nothing but SF machines out there. And when used by skilled users, a LOT of good stuff was found. And as the years passed by, a lot of these SF machine users became extremely good at using their machines and finding good stuff. But then a lot of these very skilled users invested in an Explorer MF machine. They went back to the same places they hunted for all those many years, and do you know what happened? They found a LOT more good stuff, especially DEEP good stuff. It is a fact that low frequency EM waves will penetrate the ground deeper than higher frequency EM waves. But the low EM waves do not have as good a sensitivity on small targets as the higher EM waves. So Minelab solved the problem by developing a system that would transmit 27 continously variable freqs at once and then digitally process only the best two freqs that indicated a target in the ground. All metal mode is the only way to compare apples to apples, among machines. In all metal mode.....any machine can find any metal in the ground...gold, lead, platinum, whatever. What sets one machine apart is the depth of detection, and the accuracy of a target ID. The Explorer stands alone in this performance category......

n/t

Digital seems to be the way things are going and I seriously doubt that will change anytime soon with all the benefits it brings with it.
Minelab is the LEADER too, look at what they've accomplished with the X-Terra series, not only the ability to TRUELY change frequencies with a coil change but also the long battery life etc. and it's easy to use all day long. It will hunt with anything out there ( Explorer included) coil size for coil size and out hunt most if the user knows how to use it !
The F-75 is another great digital unit with tons of desirable goodies incorporated into it's design and it hits deep with blazing reset speed between targets, it's good in the iron patches and gives the user loads of ground and target information.... but it has it's drawbacks with only 2 coils available ... hopefully that will change soon.

Now ... as much as I love my Explorer folks ... I can see a much needed CHANGE in it's overall ergonomics design, the electronics are excellent but feel a slimmed down digital version like X-Terra would be better for older folks like myself.
I've got to admit that since I've been using the F-75 and the X-Terra 70 that it's getting harder to reach for the Explorer simply because it weighs a ton and it HAS to be hunted so slowly to be successful.
Multi frequency detectors do NOT like disturbed ground whatsoever either, so guess which unit I don't grab for if I find a fresh plowed field, construction site etc. ?
It absolutely needs to be easier on the arm and overall it's a battery hog "compared to the new digital units". I wouldn't care if Minelab mounted it on the X-Terra shaft and gave us a hip mounted battery like their dedicated gold machines use..... that alone would be a huge improvement.
Analog units are still being used and some folks will never give them up, and take my word for it, some are depth monsters but they lack other things that the new digital designs don't. Battery life and good ergonomics are important to me, especially if I decide to hike a few miles into the woods to relic hunt all day.

You see ... there is NO PERFECT DETECTOR out there folks .... but Minelab and Fisher both have made leaps and bounds towards that goal.
Truth is, not much has been gained overall in the depth department for MANY years, most higher end detectors are really pretty equal in raw depth capability, the processor and software that makes sense of it all is what makes the difference in overall quality and customer satisfaction once the end user actually learns to use it.

This is NOT meant to be a bashing on the Explorer, IMO the Explorer still reigns KING overall, best coil selection out there, best customer service by a LONG SHOT and world wide recorded finds that may NEVER be topped .... so it is what it is ... Just my opinion :heh:

Good Hunting Folks
Mike