Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Morning Hunt

jfelly65

Here are my finds from my morning hunt that lasted just over an hour before the park was taken over with a child's birthday party. This was my second hunt with my new MXT and the first with my new 6x10 coil and boy what a difference over the stock 12" coil that came with it. I'm new to the are and was told by a local that use to detect that it doesn't pay to detect the park in town here as it gets hit hard and that is nothing to be found. I guess I can't complain. I found (9) newer pennies, (2) newer nickels, (5) wheat pennies with the oldest dated 1946 and (2) nickels 1939 and a 1943-P wartime along with some of the basic junk. One question I have being new to the MXT, is there an easy was to discriminate between pull tabs and nickles? I had pull tabs range anywhere between VDI 16-24 with most coming across as nickels and dug 7 pull tabs and only finding 4 nickels. I was afraid to turn the disc up any higher and pass over other nickels. Since pull tabs came across as nickels would the "click forward" help or would they still come across? Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and HH!

Josh in Indiana

Glad your having a good time with your MXT. The 6x10 is a great coil in the parks, but if you get into the heavy trash you will need and even smaller coil, like the 4x6, 4.5x7DD and the 6" DD. You want to dig all those pull tabs if you want to find the good stuff, like rings etc. If you don't dig them don't plan on finding alot of the good stuff. Good luck. HH Dennis in Idaho

You can try pushing the trigger forward then put a nickle on the ground and adjust the dual control so that it barely picks up a nickle. Leave the trigger in the forward position and it should pick up nickles and not pull taps. It works for me, try it.:pulltab::shrug:

Big congratulations on your second time out with your MXT. You did great Josh. Love seeing those nickels. You're off to a good start. HH to all, Nancy

I'll try what Bob said but I think nickels and tabs go together. Most of the time nickels read 18-20 for me, but I've found nickels that read 16-18-20 and every so often a 22 or 24. Tabs also vary, take the ones that normally read 22 and nick it, or bend it and they can read perfect nickel. Now throw in the wads of foil and bits of slaw that read 18-20 and its a crap shoot. Still most of the 18-20 readings are nickels for me. They also don't sound different to me. Rob

Rcasio said :>>>>>Most of the time nickels read 18-20 for me, but I've found nickels that read 16-18-20 and every so often a 22 or 24. Tabs also vary, take the ones that normally read 22 and nick it, or bend it and they can read perfect nickel.<<<<

That holds true for me as well.
Now about keeping the toggle switch forward: Yes that eliminates SOME pull tabs but not all of them, at least that has been my experience. Usually, for me,
the nickels come in at 18 and 20 but I've been fooled ocassionally. Keeping the toggel forward DOES get rid of most pull tabs though.

As far as two tones are concerened, that is in relic mode. Now, I hunt exclusively in Relic mode even when looking for coins at public parks.
Relic mode, as already said gives you two tones, the good target (higher tone) will always sound first over the lower tone.:detecting:

Happy Hunting!
Robert R