Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More tips needed for the uMAX

ochog

After all the great help I got on my pinpointing and yes I got it down good now how about some help on the tone of aluminum. Do most of you coinshooters hunt in discrimination mode? If so do you set it just below nickel? I do not believe there is a way to discriminate between an aluminum cap and a coin but how about a flattened can? When I hit a coin I get a solid beep should I assume that if I swing my coil a few inches away and the beep never goes away that it is a can?

Any tips sure would be appreciated I am tired of digging out flattened cans :rant: and I would like to leave the holes to a minimum.

When you experience a nice solid signal and you raise the coil four or five inches above the ground and the signal is still bright sounding you can be pretty certain that the target is not a coin. The next time you come across one of this targets see how high the coil can be lifted before the signal disappears. Then simply dig the target in order that you begin to have a reference. Remember however that detectors are designed to respond to all targets within the acceptable discrimination range you have set and that a loud signal could be a larger good target rather than a coin.
Pap

If you don't have any Killer B's or equal quality headphones, get them.

If just hunting coins you can set the disc just below nickle, but you will loose some depth.

A pop top does not sound like a coin to me but they usually get me because I'm not looking for coins. It could be something good.

Aluminum cans are easy until they are part of a can and deep. Bigger area. For the sound it's too redicules on the discreminator to be a coin. I don't dig them unless I want them out of the way.

HH,

It is one of the few things that will fool my Silver. I come in all shapes and sizes and a piece of can slaw can disc. out in the coin range. I especially hate those blobs of melted aluminum can. Whole cans are easier. After a little practice you will almost never dig them. Lift the coil about 5" and if the signal stays strong its most likely a can. Also the size of the signal will clue you in. You can get a lot of good information about a target by lifting the coil. After a while you will be able to tell depth of a coin sized target very accuratly. Practice, practice. The Silver Umax is a great detector.

I set my disc. on nickel, or a little below. If I attempt to hunt a trashy area, and don't find anything much but trash, I move on to somewhere else. You can change your machine, but you can't change the place. Aluminum is always going to be a pain in the butt. I don't mind digging a fair amount of aluminum, if I'm finding some goodies also. If I'm in a "clean" place, I turn the disc. down to foil to see what's there. I usually set the sensitivity on 9 or 10.

I think I just really need to slow down. I have been MD for 15-20 yrs off and on but for some reason this uMAX has really gotten to me. It just feels good and in the 2-3 hrs I have used it I am amazed at the coins it is finding. Even though I have to work three times as hard pulling them out of the frozen tundra. Yep raise the coil should have thought of that. This group has helped more then I ever thought. :clapping: Thanks again for all those great tips. Now back to lurk mode.

Tony in the still frozen finger lakes of central NY...:tesoro: