Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More silver and indians:cam:

Bob in SoMd

Hi all,

Finds from yesterday and this morning - a fun couple of hunts! Went out after work Friday for an hour and almost immediately found another silver shield thing at 6"...this one with "Rhodes" on it and "Hafen Einfahrt" which I think roughly translates from German as "Harbor Entrance" which is apparently depicted. Later on, found the 1919 buffalo ( VDI 18 ) at 4". I used the ketchup soak to get the crud off of it...worked pretty good.

[attachment 145682 DSC03495.jpg][attachment 145683 DSC03520.jpg]

Decided to hit the same area again this morning. Nothing for the first 45 minutes but trash and a couple of Lincolns. Then things started to happen. Got a hit at 75 and 5" and was sure it was a wheatie. Rescanned the dirt pile and got 55-60. Was really surprised when I picked up an 1898 Indian. I haven't found many from the 19th century so it's cause for celebration.

[attachment 145684 DSC03557.jpg][attachment 145685 DSC03560.jpg]

Then I got a good, solid 79-80 hit at 6 inches. Dug the plug and saw a 1948 wheatie stuck dead center in the bottom. Nice, but I was hoping for silver...but when I looked closer at the penny I saw the telltale outline of another coin on it and thought, "Cool, pocket spill!". Looked back in the hole and saw a glint of silver! 1942 Merc!

[attachment 145686 DSC03511.jpg]

Also found a 1956-D dime (VDI 77), and a cool small flat button that I thought was another IHP. The dime may have read a bit low since I found a big hunk of rusted iron about 6 inches away from it. Heading back to my car I had a jumpy signal at 4" and found the mangled silver spoon stamped "sterling", and chuckled as I wondered why someone would have the good family silver out in the yard??

Here's everything from this morning. An unusually good couple of days! Thanks for looking...

[attachment 145689 DSC03545.jpg]

Very nice finds Bob. I love them all. I don't know which one I like the best. Love the Buffalo and also the Indian Cent. The silver is always nice to find too, but there's something about the older nickels and the Indian cents that I really like. I sure hope you find out what the shields are from. Would they fit on a souvenir spoon? Remember the small spoons that were collected years back? That's a good possibility. HH and thanks for posting. Nancy

One of the seven wonders of the ancient world is the Colossus which stood at the harbor/port entrance of Rhodes. I thought it was a giant statue of a man, not an animal. It is believed to have fallen after an earthquake. Ships would sail into the bay between its feet, to give you some idea of the size.

Dave,

That's right! Here's a link to the island with a pic of the deer statues in place where the colossus once stood (they think)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes

Lots of great finds Bob and I'm really curious about the little shields. It looks like a post to the Whatsit forum might be in order. I have seen them before, I know, just can't place them. Both have the holes at 10 and 2, for a small chain I would have to believe, almost like they would fit over a bottle......:shrug:

Keep up the good hunting and don't forget to go to work............:thumbup: I bet you get your DX-1 tomorrow.

Thanks Larry and good idea. They're posted to Whatzit.