Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

more silly questions

madmax800

Hi all, I have really learned a fare bit from reading all your posts.
I have another few questions please.
I am new to metal detecting. Have a Sov GT . finding it really good. How do I tell how deep targets are. I hear a load tone but cant work out how deep it is. Say I'm at the beach in wet sand, its hard work digging even with my hand scoop. It would be good if I had some idea on the depth.

Also, inland, what are the best tools to carry for digging. I cant carry a pick and spade all day along with the detector. what do you all use.

silly questions, maybe the answers should be obvious to me . Thanks all

Depth is something I feel you will learn from Experience with the GT. I would say that the way the target sounds and how big of a area it covers. If it is weak and small sounding it will be around 6-7 inches deep on land. If it is coming and going and you can just wiggle it just right to get a signal then it is going to be around 8 inches. If the target seems to be a good inch big with a broad tone than it is around 2-3 inches deep. Like I say with experience I think you will be able to tell the same goes for alum cans and bigger targets as when you lift the coil up you will notice the target still sounds the same.
On digging tool and such for parks I use a Sun Ray leather hip mount trash treasure bag I have on a extra leather belt. In the bag is 2 smaller pouches for my coins with Velcro flaps, a larger area for my trash plus a nice sheath for my Lesche digging knife and 2 places for my screwdriver probes. These screwdriver probes are used for the shallow targets so I don't have to really do any digging while the Lesche is used for when I have to dig a plug out. The screwdriver probe I used took me a while to find just what i wanted, but found Ace Hardware has the ones with a long narrow shaft and a rounded top so your hands don't get sore from probing. I also use it for when I think I have a deep trash item as I can push it deep in the ground.
Been using this set up for years and it works great.

What Rick said, plus another way........

Depending on the location , coil used, and sensitivity setting, you will have an approximate max depth. The higher you can raise your coil without losing the target, the more shallow it is. If you can barely lift the coil, then it's really deep. If you can lift the coil almost a foot, then it's almost on the surface. You get a feel for this after you dig a few hits.........

HH

Hi Max, In reply to your post, I use the New MINELAB TREASURE POUCH,
that is Black Cordura Fabric with Two Large Inside POCKETS, and two Outside Red Loops. One loop in smaller than the other, and I carry
my LESCHE DIGGING Tool in the bigger one, and my Brass COINPROBE in the smaller one. Inside the Main Pouch, you have Two Pockets, that you can carry a MERLIN PINPOINTER inside one of the Little Pockets
or you could a short diggin tool inside it. I also WEAR a Soap Dish
on A Rope Container, that was designed for CAMPING. I put my BEST FINDS inside it whether I am Dirt Hunting or Beach Detecting. This protects your Jewelry/Nice SILVER Coins/RARE Buttons from possibly being DAMAGED, as a result of banging around with all the Different Other Finds/Junk that you gather up while detecting. I'm like a TRASHMAN on duty, if GOD did not put it there, THEN I TRY NOT TO LEAVE IT THERE!! I try to clean up MOTHER EARTH!!
For Beach Hunting, I use a Long Handled Scoop, but I know Several detectorists that use a Long Handled Shovel, or Military
Entrenching Shovel. In Parks/School Grounds/Residential Yards I use
my LESCHE Digging Tool or the PREDATOR LINE of Digging Tools by GEORGE
LESCHE. For Construction Site/Farm Field/In the Woods, I use a PREDATOR 30" T-Handled Shovel and carry it over my left shoulder
as I swing my detector right-handed. Hope this helps, hh,
NamVetLesTreasureSeeker