Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

More for the Birds ...

SurfCutter

I figure a couple more short tales for the birds and call it done ....
Our collection of birds over the years varied from a few chickens or ducks to having flocks of both along with a few geese and the strangest a flock of Guinea hens , it was my humble opinion that these were just as productive as Bantam chickens give them a golf ball to sit on and you had two more ... Now that in and of it's self may not be a bad thing , but to a kid that was more interested in playing with his friends and not the responsibility of taking care of all these critters any extra pens to feed and water 2-3 times a day rain or shine just was not appealing at all ..Well what started as 4 Guinea hens of unknown gender soon became a flock of 20 plus in the space of 2 years and the threat of more the next spring .... Well I found out just what one of these critters tasted like one day , ...well you remember tat golf ball ... it seems in a bit of a fit at having to try to round up the flock for the night , and did I tell you they could fly better than some wild birds we had coming to feed at the grain pans , I throw said golf ball in front of said flock again in foolish anger and out of hopes to turn the flock back to the pen .... Yup you guessed it I beaned one of the flock perfectly of the head ...it was down for the count and for good ... worst was that Mom just happen to be standing on the back steps and saw the whole thing ,,, Waste not want not , after the chewing out for my bit of ill placed rage and it's out come , I was instructed to clean and prep said critter for my supper .... I had the choice I either eat it as mom cooked it or along with being grounded no supper .... To this day I think she over cooked that poor bird just to drive home the point ... tough , dry and a bit gammy .... We did not eat to many of them and they either dead off due to old age or were taken by a passing fox , raccoon or other varmint that got a meal or two before we caught up to it ...

This other story started with one of my wife's ( soon to be ex .) friends at work , it seemed that this friend's girl friend was moving out of state and could not take her pet parrot , A Nanday Conure... Well after failing to find a home for the bird she gave it to her friend to find a home for it . Now it was offered us . After picking the bird up the full story as to why this bird was so hard to find a home for . First it was not tame at all , and the pair of holed leather gloves drove that point home . you entered the cage at your own risk . second it seemed that it was a morning bird , that at the break of dawn it was singing / screeching hour and that if you are a party person that after a full late night of drink it was not your first middle or last choice to hear at any hour of the morning . Third was that this bird had a rep .... it seemed one of the possible homes that the bird was given to to try out had a cat . Well given the first two very endearing traits they some how came up with the idea that if they left the door open on the cage and the cat alone in the room and left for the day they could tell the former owner that it was an accident ....(I don't agree with their thinking (?) but what can you do it takes all kinds ) So when they came home from the days outing they had a bit of a surprise , the bird sitting it it's cage just a bit ruffled and a few feathers gone but none the worst for wear , the cat on the other hand was not as lucky .... They figure in the battle the cat must have pinned the bird down in such a way that the bird got a beak hold in to it's neck .... Cat bleed out from the wound but not before making sure everything got covered first .... We tried taming the critter and did have a bit of luck , then passed it alone to my Mom, she worked with it some more but having Petey and Polly still she did not have the time to give it so she passed it to my Grandma who did finally tame it had kept it for some years until it's passing of old age .... That was one bird you gave respect to and justifiably so ....

Bill G.

Our neighbours in Victoria had a flock and they spent pretty much all of their time at our place.. They loved to go through the horse stall for spilled grain.

After a time, we almost thought of them as ours, They would not stay home at the neighbours at all. :):

fair winds

Mikie

Good story. Animals are great to have around, and as individual as people are.
I used to have a cat and a parakeet that played together.The parakeet would would pull the cats whiskers and the cat would get even by stepping on the birds tail. They were a riot when they got going. The parakeet was real sociable it liked to sit on edge of your beer glass and get drunk with you.