Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Moose in passing , or Other Moose I have known

SurfCutter

:unsure::lmfao:To finish up on my moose tails I will relate a few short stories here ,the first is one were once again Larry, John and I make the trip North to Jackmen Me. we had started another one of our long hard and fruitless deer hunts , John having sworn off any type of scent lure was and always the target for us to bring up his luck with moose . this day was no different. We had travelled down the road to Greenville from out of Jackmen and turned on to one of the many dirt logging road and followed it several miles to the end of a side road that ended at a good size stream . As always we each choose a direction and made plans to when and how we would meet up later or what we would do if one of us got lucky and dropped a deer , yes luck would be a very big part as we had long since proved our skill or lack there of...
I choose to take the center were as John and Larry took the right and left side and we each soon deep off the logging road and out on our own personal hunt .... For me it passed with very little at look other than on crossing an open grass meadow that had not grown back or been reseeded with trees for the paper company I came across a very heavily used moose run , ...how did I know this , well the hoof prints the size of dinner plates for one and the antler drop from that spring was kind of a give away . The thrill that I found this drop and the size of it soon was replaced with a feeling of discomfort that there would be very little chance of finding a deer in this area and that the owner was still around ....I never saw or heard anything but I had a feeling that I was not alone here. I finished the day walking and sitting but with out seeing any deer . On the way back to my truck in the open field of grass on the other side of the logging road two very large bull moose had come out of the woods and were feeding as the sun began to set. Larry and John soon arrived from their hunts with only Larry seeing and tracking a deer the effort only lead him to a very large doe , and again no doe permits . John on the other hand had something to relate to me it seems I was not alone in that from his hill top look out he had seen me across the lower ground to his left and watched with great hope that the moose he saw in the openings moving and feeding would work their way for me to meet up with them it was not to be. At one point he was able to point from the road and one of the many raises just were he had sat and how I was less than 20 yards from the 3 of them .
In that we had take two trucks in with us , my little Toyota 4x4 and Johns big Dodge I loaded up my gear and left to get supper ready back at the rented cabin. A 4x4 , dirt road and in youth I was having a bit of fun driving a bit faster than what I normally would , and was soon out to the paved road we had started from we had installed CB radios in the trucks before making the trip and we bantered back and forth. Them asking if I saw the 3 moose on the side of the road and me telling them of the car stopped in the middle of the paved road the doors open and two people out on either side looking at something as I came out at speed from the logging road and around their car heading back to town .....:yikes:
it was then I saw what they were looking at standing in the road what first looked like 4 telephone pole were the legs of the biggest moose I have ever seen ..... the antlers alone had a spread wider than my little Toyota truck by at least 18" on each side .
:surprised: I was close enough that if I looked up through the steering wheel and over the dash board at just the right angle I could see over the top of this Bull Moose's back.....
I learned then that to be in a hurry was not the most healthiest thing to be doing with critters around that big , made me feel real small in that little truck ....
Food on our deer hunts was always figured to be divided between the three of us with each bringing a precooked supper or the fixings for it this also included breakfast and lunch and enough cash for at least one or two nights out at a local restaurant for later in the week .
To night was my turn to cook and clean up , I had asked my Mom if she would make up some home made pizza of which she gladly did for me. This is what I had planned on for our supper that night I got back to the cabin and was soon cleaned up and had the pan in the oven heating before Larry and John got back from there side trip to see if they could spot any deer or if nothing else more moose for Larry to tease John about ...:lmfao:
After they had put the gear away for the night and were cleaned up the pizza was ready and out of the oven and we seat down to enjoy this treat of home cooking ..... we soon were laughing and carrying on about the days hunt and ribbing each other common to any hunting camp and good friends . Until John stopped in mid chew and very slowly picked a green feather out of his mouth and showed it to Larry then looking over his slice of pizza started to pick a couple more off ....:unsure:
Now I have to explain you see Mom has always had a soft spot for critters bird especially we had the good luck to catch from the wilds of the great outdoor in West Bridgewater MA. not one but two different Parrots , one a small Quaker Parrot the other a large Amazon . From many years we enjoy these pets but mom would some times let the small quaker out of it's cage to fly loose around the house it had a liking for people food it was lucky only feathers were the only thing it left behind and not something else. Larry and I took great delight in reminding John of his luck and the skill it took to make of bird feather pizza ....

in Prince George BC. This calf was born at 5:30 am in the neighbors front yard. Now they have a "Guard Moose" for a while and have to use the back door:biggrin: Momma Moose's hair is up and she was fixing to teach the camera guy a lesson!

[attachment 62352 BabyMoose.jpg]

n/t

friends and feather pizza are a winning combination. Thanks for the time you put in writing the story's. I enjoy them all.:thumbup:

your buddy Nicky in the previous post though. I suppose that's why we're only to live "one day at a time". Sounds like you guys always enjoyed yourselves out in the wild. You'll always have the memories from those days. And now, we do too. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences !:clapping: