Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Moose II , or to dance with tree and hang from cliff

SurfCutter

Of the 3 of us Larry , John and myself , John seemed to be the moose magnet, the first run in was a hunt we all did just out side of Lewiston Maine . we had all gone up to hunt deer and took a day off to stay at Larry's brothers house and hunt an area open to us out of stater's .... and so after a restful night sleeping on the floor in there living room and having their Lab walk all over us we got up early and headed out to hunt an old logging road a quick meeting with I will go this way and you go that way I you take the middle we split up and headed out to hunt .
It was my luck to take the middle road and after a short walk found a heavily used deer run . I found a spot that I felt took in the wind and gave good cover with enough area to take a shot or two if something was to show up .......that day was good , I had guess the right amount to dress for the weather and spent lunch with the chickadee's and and blue jays , but no deer . At dark I walked back to the truck and found John on the trail out , he was as white as a sheet .
:confused:
Whats up with you , cold ?
He then tells me of his days hunt , after climbing 3 or 4 steps to the right of the lagging road he found a clear cut that had started to grow back in he could see at the top of the hill another 4 steps up it opened into the current working clear cut . so he founds a spot in the center of this regrowth it just so happened that one small tree about 4" around had grown up in what was for the most part open brush 2-3 feet high at most . He was not long there when the sound of many feet was heard and he soon was looking at a small herd of 4 white tail does feeding through the cut , not a doe permit on us they had free pass and so left him alone or so he thought.
You ever have the feeling of being watched ? well after a time he got up and walked around but still could not shake the feeling of being watched , after a walk to the top for the hill and to see were the does had walked away to he came back down to the cut and sat down and watched only to fall in to a fitful sleep . Later waking and feeling even more uneasy and watched he slowly looked around behind him to his right stood a cow moose not 25 yards away looking straight at him . :yikes:
Jumping up and then seeing her start to walk toward him he felt that there was no place and no way to out run her his only cover was this 4" tree so there he stands his old 348 Winchester pointed at her and she standing now less than 5 yards away looking goof eyed at him. she then started to circle the tree he circled around away from her keeping the tree between them and still keeping the gun on her she walked around that tree and each completed circle she would drew closer until she stopped and stood 10' from him and then sniffed and snorted to which JR can out of the brush across the cut and after a couple more sniffs she and Jr walked off up the hill , John high tailed it back to the trail and that was were I found him ....so ended that day and the dance of tree ...part two to come ....cliff hanging ...

I know I would have been. Dang........when you think about it, ....what do you do but hope it doesn't charge from being startled ? Waiting for the rest here Bill. This is an interesting read !:thumbup:

n/t

n/t

We do not have moose down here in South Texas, but I do hear tell that they are dangerous animals. This is a good story and I look forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

one at ten feet had to scare the crap out of him. I have seen them in Ontario but never hunting.