Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monty Nail Board Test and small gold and chains

Has anyone tried the Monty Nail Board test yet? If yes how did it perform. Also any tests with small gold or with chains both are troublesome for the previous gen of FBS?

Thanks

Bryanna

Would just like to add that I don't expect a lot from the nail board test with a stock round 11" DD coil. If it was a narrower DD coil (like on the Omega) I think it would do better. A smaller coil would be more apt imo.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone had a few year old (like 10!) nail board test in the ground, where it matters? I say that as FBS isn't the best in out of ground tests.

All that said, I am looking forward as well to how it does. I have the test ready to go along with some other tests like on my youtube channel that I did with my Jupiter, once I get my hands on my CTX! Still searching.

Albert

The CTX is the wrong detector for the nail board test, that was done to test fast swing/recovery detectors. The CTX's strong point is showing multiple targets under the coil at the same time and then ID each of the targets. The recommended swing speed for the CTX is one foot per second. If you are looking for a fast swing/recovery detector, you are on the wrong forum.

Larry (IL) said:
The CTX's strong point is showing multiple targets under the coil at the same time and then ID each of the targets.

Isnt that the point of the nail board test, to see if the CTX can ID the coin between the nails?

Larry (IL) said:
The CTX is the wrong detector for the nail board test, that was done to test fast swing/recovery detectors. The CTX's strong point is showing multiple targets under the coil at the same time and then ID each of the targets. The recommended swing speed for the CTX is one foot per second. If you are looking for a fast swing/recovery detector, you are on the wrong forum.

In the minelab videos, Phil Beck of Minelab seems to be swinging the CTX about 2 to 4 times that fast.

You can go as fast as you want but you will lose depth if you are hunting for the deep targets. Minelab says the average is 4 seconds for a complete swing.

I don't need a nail board to tell me that. The CTX will display the coins and the nails all at the same time on the screen. Then target trace pinpoint can ID each target. I had first hand experience twice this morning and both yielded Indian Heads, one under a cut nail and the other under can slaw. That give me more info than a nail board would.

Larry (IL) said:
The CTX will display the coins and the nails all at the same time on the screen.

Why are you so against the test? Where I live they want in excess of $3000 for the CTX, so before I fork out hard earned cash I want proof it does what the you say it does and the nail test would do just that imo.

I think I agree with Larry here, for a variety of reasons, one I mentioned above regarding the coil size. Also, as Larry implied, the way the CTX works, it's not relying on raw speed, it's displaying multiple targets at the same time. I really just think FBS technology has limitations regarding recovery speed, but it makes up for it in other ways. That is clear in the field.

If you have used e.g. an E-Trac in above moderate iron, they work well. I found the E-Trac better in moderate + iron than some much faster machines. I was shocked but my tests didn't lie.
FBS machines are different in the ground than above ground, but more so than regular VLF machines. They seem to use a bit of time domain technology mixed in with VLF. A nail board test is not really up it's alley.

In the end, it will come down to cross checking signals. Get a fast machine like the Deus and compare signals, both ways. Do the tests sure, but it won't matter if if performs. And that is what I am hoping for and suspect. We'll see. We'll have to compare coils similar in size though, that may be a problem for a while, until other coils are released.

Albert

Can you explain a little deeper on what you observed?

Larry (IL) said:
I don't need a nail board to tell me that. The CTX will display the coins and the nails all at the same time on the screen. Then target trace pinpoint can ID each target. I had first hand experience twice this morning and both yielded Indian Heads, one under a cut nail and the other under can slaw. That give me more info than a nail board would.

Here is the thread if you missed it: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1710032

Having jumped through dozens of hoops this past month, and played along with a variety of "parlor games", I've demonstrated just about every scenerio one might find in the real world. If you've not looked at those posts with multiple nails, several coins and a wide variation of "target placement", I suggest you do. In the meantime, those of us who have followed the posts, watched the videos and/or used the CTX 3030, understand this detector's abilities. I won't speak for Larry. But I think you're missing his point. Most of us don't hunt for coins or jewelry laying on a board, between nails. Kind of like air tests in that we don't hunt for coins in amongst the tree limbs. From experience, we recognize that FBS type detectors function best with a ground matrix. Those that have used the CTX 3030 recognize it's ability to idenfy multiple targets under the coil, simultaneously. If it is there, the CTX 3030 will see it. With that said, if someone on here wants to do the Monty nail board test, buile to compare VLF detectors, not FBS detectors, here it is.....

[attachment 234188 Naill_Board_-_1.jpg]

Wow! Did not realize my simple question would turn into so much drama. I have an FBS machine I no that some tests used to test other detectors is not really a fair comparison because I feel FBS is as much different from VLF as PI is from VLF. You would not compare a PI detectors ability to discriminate against a VLF machine totally unfair comparison. The reverse would be true if you compared a VLF machine in highly mineralized ground against a PI for depth and signal clarity. So that was not my intent. But comparing a PI machine vs another PI machine for Depth in bad ground is fair. So I also feel running the nail board test is a reasonable thing to do, not to see if the CTX is as fast as the XP Deus but more to see how it compares to how the Etrac performed. Also because of the multiple targets the CTX should provide some interesting Trace information as well.

Also I did ask about two other things one was small gold. I know the CTX is not a prospector but it is a beach and surf hunter for sure so see how it stacks up against its toughest competition the Minelab Excaliburs would be very interesting.

So sorry for starting such a heated exchange.

Bryanna

Larry (IL) said:
You can go as fast as you want but you will lose depth if you are hunting for the deep targets. Minelab says the average is 4 seconds for a complete swing.

Is a complete swing considered from right to left or from right to left and back again?

ramer said:
Larry (IL) said:

Is a complete swing considered from right to left or from right to left and back again?

2 seconds each way. It's in the manual you can download.

People need to try the Monty nail board test with a coin 3-4 inches below the nail. That is more like the real world test. Now how many brands of detectors will read the coin?

OzarkTom said:
People need to try the Monty nail board test with a coin 3-4 inches below the nail. That is more like the real world test. Now how many brands of detectors will read the coin?

No known VLF machine will read the coin. The EMF field is stopped (or the like) by the iron. I tried the test with a very fast detector in the Jupiter and it was iffy at only 1" below. Any more than that and it would cut out completely (probably). I could get it to see a coin 1" below one square nail, which most detectors can't do - check my videos.

I think a small coil would be the only possibility.

Albert

These air tests with coins / nails / trash on the ground trying to show how a detector will perform in the field means very little especially to those that have spent tiem in the field with any detector. Air tests can be made to show all sorts of things but how a detector will respond to actual, long-time buried targets is not one of them.

Several years ago dealers for another brand could demonstrate that a certain detector could hit a quarter at 24" . . . . and in the air with sensitivity maxed out it could . . but that was not usable sensitivity in the ground so an air test looked good in the shop and then people wondered what happened in the field.

Any FBS detector - and that includes the CTX 3030 since regardless of the FBS2 moniker is still an FBS-based detector - does not air test well. This "Board Test" is also of little real-world relevance based on how targets are processed and the signals they will produce.

The CTX 3030 offers additonal information on the screen but with the limited time I have on the machine, starring at the screen in high trash areas along with trying to get the angle right to see the screen clearly is not the optimal way of hunting. Hunting by audio is still going to be the best option especially for deeper coins which are pushing the envelope in terms of detection depth. With overall detection depth close to that of an E-Trac, the same techniques that exerienced E-Trac operators use on deep targets in amongst trash will prove useful on the new detector as well.

There have been several videos here as well as on the Minelab Owners site across the pond that use the "lay targets on the ground" method of demonstrating how the detector will work but unless you are looking for shallow targets, in-ground targets at depth will not respond that way.

Andy Sabisch