Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monte's Grandchildren Question

candycane

You stated that you were going to purchase a Garrett 250 for one of them.Why a Garrett and not a Tesoro.

interested enough to want to try different features/functions.

Some youngsters, just like some older hobbyists, seem to have a rather short attention or interest span. They want to find coins and are not that interested in finding junk. Too much junk and they lose interest. One way to help thin down the amount of detected junk, and still get most nickels is to use notch discrimination.

Certainly you're wondering why the Garrett Ace 250 over something like a Tesoro Compadre or Silver

Hay all,

I think the 250 is a real nice detector.

It is great for people who haven't learned how to hunt well.

People find real nice targets with them. They are good in trash
if you are patient.

If I could not have a Tesoro, I would strongly concider guying a 250.

But for me, I like the performance and quality of target response and
response time of the Tesoro MD's.

That is why I only own Tesoro'es.

But there are others that are highly recomended. The 250 is one of those.

Happy Hunting,

n/t

I 'fess up, too. I HAVE an Ace. Somedays the ID just plain comes in handy when I'm in a hurry. Over 20 years ago(ok,please don't ask JUST how old I am) I had a Garrett BFO and a TR and I was comparing them. I foolishly left one on a park bench during the test,drove a block and realized my mistake and QUICKLY drove back only to find it gone and no one around-they were FAST! I went to the Garrett factory to turn my serial # in and Adrian Cook was there then, and waited on me. After all the paper work, he handed me a Groundhog and asked how I liked it-well, it was new technology and ,of course, I liked. He told me to try it out and I told him I just couldn't afford it then. With a grin on his face, he said,"It's yours!" Then, at the first International Treasure Hunt, Charles was there and held Sunday services,which I appreciated. Sometimes there's just no replacing the character and memories of how you were treated. Now I also know the character of Jack and that's the reason for my Silver. Fortunately, the machines back up the men involved and speak even more of both men.:blush:

Mote, since you are so young & still learning :biggrin: let me offer some advice. Try a Fisher F2, I am not a huge Fisher (Tesoro for me!) fan but the F4 & the F2 performed alot better in my ground than the Ace 250 did. Steve.

[size=large]I'm not a fan of any of the modern Fisher models, anyway. It;s just not the same company 'spirit' like they used to have, if you know what I mean.

besides, in the bad ground I have to deal with, I often find ANY of the factory preset GB models, from Garrett, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Minelab, Tesoro, and even a White's now and then, will frequently have problems due to a too-negative GB setting. But I hunt a lot of challenging mineralized sites and, while I like the Compadre (better in some ways than the Silver

n/t

stocks them. Not many Fisher Dealers in these parts, but I do plan to visit a dealer friend in Salem on my next trip down there to visit family. I'll give them a look-see, but they are going to have to do something great in order to sway me from a more durably-built detector.

Monte

"Besides, I am not a big fan of 9-Volt batteries, preferring AA alkaline powered detectors."

OK, I've got to ask the legend (must make you feel old to be called that): why don't you like 9-volt battery detectors?

maybe your friend will let you "tape" up the coil,and try one for a few days!..once you do,you might take a shine to it!..many have!

(h.h!)
j.t.

marcomo said:
"Besides, I am not a big fan of 9-Volt batteries, preferring AA alkaline powered detectors."

OK, I've got to ask the legend (must make you feel old to be called that): why don't you like 9-volt battery detectors?

There are several reasons, such as:

How do the Kirkland alkalines compare to Energizer and Duracell? The Walgreens brand seems to be comparable, but even on sale with my Walgreens card they came to $4.50 for 16 AAs.

Sounds like Costco has a real good price assuming the batteries are comparable to the name brands.

Monte, I agree completely with you about AA's over 9-volts. But sadly,
we'll probably never see a change by Tesoro on their 9-volt units,
simply because they prefer them in their Umax models because
of the size & weight issues @ 2.2 lbs. I personally would like to
see a redesign of all their units to AA's, regardless of the weight,
taking a cue from the Tejon, etc. Won't happen though.
..W:shrug:
P.S. Could AAA's be a possible solution? Less weight but more life than 9's??

Wayne/TX said:
Monte, I agree completely with you about AA's over 9-volts. But sadly,
we'll probably never see a change by Tesoro on their 9-volt units,
simply because they prefer them in their Umax models because
of the size & weight issues @ 2.2 lbs. I personally would like to
see a redesign of all their units to AA's, regardless of the weight,
taking a cue from the Tejon, etc. Won't happen though.
..W:shrug:
P.S. Could AAA's be a possible solution? Less weight but more life than 9's??
I never could figure out the big complaint about slapping in one 9 volt battery, very easy to do & lasts a very long time. Yes 9 volt batteries are on the expensive side but about the same cost of having to use several AA's. It would take alot of AAA's to get enough amperage to last, and I for one wouldn't want to have to use 8 batteries in one detector let alone more than 8. Steve.

[size=large]Duracell for Costco. I did get a call back from a Costco rep about a month and a half ago, however, who told me that they were possibly going to be discontinuing them Unknown when, or if they are going to have a different AA battery contract with a different supplier, but I DO know I am going to snap up another package or two.

Monte
[/size] :)

[size=large]more expensive, and not having the amperage of the AA batteries. However, I can buy 8-AA alkaline batteries for less than a quality 9V alkaline, and they last a lot longer. Oh, I am not knocking the handy drop-in battery system Tesoro has, but as they have gone to their 'HOT' units there have been more complaints about the battery not holding up nearly as long as with the

My best friend glued one of those nylon knife sheaths for a small pocket knife that he found at Wally World(and you can find them at MANY garage sales for a dime) on the underside of his detector and keeps a spare battery in it:cool:

marcomo

Monte said:
There are several reasons, such as: