Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

mode switch on headphones

findit

looking at headphones, what is mode switch to make them compatible with most? how do you know if a set is compatible with your machine. also do you need the switch able limiter???

Mono and Stereo

[quote findit]looking at headphones, what is mode switch to make them compatible with most? how do you know if a set is compatible with your machine.[/quote]A quality headphone manufacturer of headphones for the metal detecting hobby would tell you it is called a "compatibility switch" and some errantly refer to it as Stereo or Mono switch. In the end it amounts to about the same thing. Even though our metal detectors do not work in 'stereo' some manufacturers choose to use a mono jack and some a stereo jack, or they opt to wire up a stereo jack to function with a mono plug. Due to these differences, you usually have a toggle or slide switch to select a setting that is functional for your detector. You will know if it is compatible because it will either work or not work. :)

[quote findit] also do you need the switch able limiter???[/quote]No, you do not need a switchable limiter. Most headphones do not have a limiter circuit, but some of the better quality headphones do, such as Killer B's As an example, I use the Killer B Wasp or the SunRay Gold Pro headphones (essentially the same) and they have a switchable limiter circuit. Personally, I use the brilliant sounding audio w/o the clipper (limiter) circuit because I get a much better audio response with the particular model detector I usually use.

Some detector models have circuitry that doesn't allow the benefits of these headphones to be heard, so check them with your detector.

But I personally prefer the limiter to be user selectable because I like to be in more control of the information my detector (and headphones) convey to me.

Monte

Would this switchable limiter work with a tejon, because at the moment I am using a pair of whites and all they have is a dual volume .
I am wondering what I am missing in terms of quality.

[quote tabdog]The switchable limiter switch and mode switch can in different instances mean different things.[/quote]As it relates to metal detector use, the "mode" or "compatibility" switch basically allows the headphones to work or not work. That is based upon the type of headphone jack used in the detector and/or how the manufacturer wires it up. If you didn't have the switch on the headphones, some detectors through the years would work with a headphone that had a Mono plug and some a Stereo plug. Some manufacturer's wired the jack so that either type of plug would work. A hobbyist could have two different types of detector jack systems and need two sets of headphones, but by using a set of headphones with a selector switch, one set of headphones would work on either detector.

Today, most detectors will work with one type of headphone, but having the "compatibility" switch makes the headphone more universal-use design.

The "limiter" circuitry is a little different depending upon the make and model used. One brand of headphone might offer a battery-powered function that enhances a weak signal, while another approach is to "limit" the audio blare from a shallow or large target. I prefer the latter approach. The "limiter" circuitry is sometimes referred to as a "clipper" circuit because it cut out or clips the loud audio blast from a shallow target, but a "clipper circuit" is really something different as we saw with those early Big Bud models and some others. The more proper term of "limiter" is a circuit that limits the amount of loud audio.

As I stated, with some models you can't see any benefit at all from some models that have a "limiter" feature. That's why it is best to try various headphones on your detector. Before top quality headphones were offered to detectorists, such as the Killer B's or Grey Ghost or SunRay Gold pro, etc., I used to take my detector into either a detector dealer's shop or a Radio Shack or any business that sold GOOD headphones and try them out. There is a lot of difference in the quality of sound and comfort between inferior low-end headsets and quality high-end.

[quote tabdog]I don't know how to spell this word but Impeedance choices are common on high priced headphones not only for metal detecting, but a high quality adaptable set for multi use in a recording studio may have different sets of controls to deal with Impeedance, and other things. Which is probably similar to a switchable limiter switch. Impeedance, if I spelled it right, refers to the ability to limit or deal with what comes in. In in other words a matching or mismatching of the values. It's also a miss match of choice of words to deal with Elect. components.

Not to be argumentative but some people don't use the same kind of headphones.[/quote]Some people have better hearing than I have today. I know that part of my hearing loss is due to too much plinking and range time w/o proper ear protection, a little loss from five incoming mortar rounds that hit about 7-12 yards to my left when in Viet Nam, and I guess I can't help but include all the time I have put in listening to metal detector audio and beeps. :)

I have friends who use Killer B Wasps, as I do, and they prefer to have the limiter in use all the time. I also have young, healthy friends I hunt with who, like me, prefer to use them w/o the limiter. Part of the reason is that they use similar models to me.

Those who use a model such as White's Classic series and also something like the Killer B Wasp or SunRay Gold Pro headphones know what I am talking about. With the Classic III SL, Classic ID or IDX Pro that I have favored for over a dozen years now, you can use the internal speaker and hear a very good audio response. But they did something with their headphone circuitry that has annoyed me in that it often sounded 'muffled'.

When White's were using the modified Koss headphones they called the K/W Pro's, I immediately upgraded to them for two reasons. One was the audio response from them was much better. It was cleaner, crisper, and more brilliant and less "muffled" sounding that with Calrad's and other commonly sold headphones. Part of that was due to the dynamic audio range, but most of the benefit came from the higher impedance speakers they used.

The K/W Pro's, like most of the higher-end headphones sold to the metal detecting crowd, use 150 ohm speakers. The nominal impedance, however, is 75 ohms because we're not talking stereo and a simple test with a VOM shows what the resultant impedance is at the jack (plug them into the jack and test them at the where the speaker wires connect.

Anyway, you get a more brilliant audio. Where the low-cost headphones (usually 8 ohms to 32 ohms or 4 to 16 ohms nominal) often sound like there is no treble adjustment and the bass is turned way up on a radio, headphones like the Killer B's w/o the limiter sound just the opposite! More like there's no bass adjusted and the treble is maxed out. This is simply an analogy since there isn't such a control, but I think folks might understand what I mean.

In the end, using my modified IDX pro and Killer B's or SunRay headphones w/o using the limiter so as to hear the full audio response, I am more pleased with the audio and in-the-field performance. :)

Monte

how is the killer b wasp with the cibola and vaquero? do you recommend using the limiter switch with those machines

[quote findit]how is the killer b wasp with the cibola and vaquero? do you recommend using the limiter switch with those machines[/quote]I've used my Killer B Wasp and/or SunRay Pro Gold headphones with both of those models as well as every detector I have used during the past three or more years (I've lost track), and have had excellent service from them! As for the option to use or not use the limiter, that's a personal thing based upon how poor someones hearing is or how sensitive the hearing is. All I can tell you is that for me and several friends, the brilliant audio w/o the limiter is preferred.

I also know some who use the Killer B because it HAS the limiter and they like to calm down those loud shallow target blasts. The advantage to these two models is that YOU, the operator, can make that call with the flip of a toggle switch. I can only suggest that you get a pair, and if you really question how nice they feel or how great the audio can be, find a stocking dealer or a hunting buddy who uses them and give them a try.

Monte

The Tejon has a subtle language but to really hear it you need good quality headphones. Pernsonally I use Killer B's, and I would suggest you get a better set that Whites you currenty use. Low-end (cheap) headphones just dont have good enough audio characteristics and they tend to muffle the audio. The additional information you will hear is significant. Limiter headphones will work on your Tejon.

Scully is exactly right. He convinced me to buy a set of killer b phones and I've never had regrets. Now I can hear what my Tejon is saying. Oh, yes, he ordered them for me too.