Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

missed oppitunites

monoman

hi all do you have a story to tell of missed oppitunites by this i mean i had my eye on this old church to detect around i kept putting it off and putting it off and next thing i know they started building around it so share your story

monoman

I have SO MANY missed opportunities down here in west central Florida it would have to be a whole seperate forum. I can't keep up with them. They develop these places so fast (of course that has slowed down toa snails pace now with the economy the way it is) and or transiates and or druggies torch the places and of course they get bull dozzed soon after. It is unbelievable how fast it all happens. I have a list I am compiling with addresses and all the info and sometimes the original owners are not the original owners anymore they even the owners switch fast. You must stay ahead of the game at least 2 steps to have a chance then there is the time thing!

Don

I live in Oz.
the best missed opportunity that I've had, was to detect on a really old couple of house sites next to a friends home. It took me 6 weeks to secure permission, but just before I could, I met a fellow detectorist that just hunted without asking. I saw him on the site as I was returning home from work. He had just pulled up a 1876 US silver trade dollar!:rant: the law on hunting on vacant property is poorly worded here. If you were to ask a policeman about it, he'd say because there is no fence, trespass hasn't been committed. If you ask a solicitor (lawyer) then you would be told that you are indeed trespassing and if you take even 1 coin, you can be charged with theft.
Mick Evans.

I was going to hunt a set of ball fields at a school. When I got around to it they had built a new school on top of it.

Bill

For over 30 years, I was an addict to discrimination and notch-believing in it as the ONLY way to detect. No telling how much stuff I've swung the coil over. If God gives me 30 more, it won't be the same way, I guarantee it.

my mother in law told me of a family cache at a old house her grandparents owned it was $2000 "pound" ( dollars not weight ) worth of sterling silver coins the family searched a few times but no luck the next time they went up there the area was a car park :cry:.
lazyaussie

A friend of mine had lost a very expensive bracelet while watching a high school soccer game. (yes we do play it here) She asked me to help her find it but couldn't make it the next weekend after the game. We went the weekend after that and the school had build a very large set of permanent bleachers with large steel girders and all, right over where she had lost the bracelet. :veryangry: You snooze, you lose..:nopity:

I agree with Slingshot; so many years discriminating and should have been going all metal, but I must say back when I started there was still an abundance of relics and thought it was the way to go and didn't factor in the deeper stuff. Anyway here's my story.

There was a heavily wooded area with undergrowth so thick you couldn't even crawl through it, much less swing a machine, and was located in the middle of a major CW battle. Always had my eye on it and kept going back thinking for some reason it would improve, but we know how that goes. Finally a couple of years ago a development company started clearing it out for a commercial site, but you really couldn't tell at first because they cut a road right to the middle and started working their way out instead of coming from the outside in. By the second day I finally saw the heavy equipment on my way home from work and knew what was going on. Tired from work I didn't go straight to the site but promised myself I would go the next day (word of advice, never make these promises and go no matter how tired). I went the next day as planned and by that time they were just starting to put up the Posted signs and asking relic hunters to leave. Talked to a few guys who had hit the spot the first two days. Turns out the area was a field hospital that was still evident up through the 1930s until someone pushed dirt over it but not sure why. The first two days they coincidentially just scraped off the fill-in down to the original site and the guys who did hunt it before it was posted had stories to tell that just made me ill. Plates and belt buckles galore from both sides, not to mention the abundance of buttons and other desired relics - believe me they showed me what they found. They said it was obviously a virgin site and was like hunting back in the day when detecting first started; hardly any trash - just relics. I still kick myself for not going when I first saw what was happening.

Like the thread states, a missed opportunity and a strong lesson of never promising myself to go hunting the next day. Its getting harder to stay ahead of development, so go guys whenever the opportunity presents itself.