Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:minelab: X-Terra Owners Blue Coil Poll: Got one?

The coil on my X-Terra 30 is a low serial number compared to the coil on my X-Terra 70. Kelley (Texas) :)

If Minelab can design a metal detector like the X-Terra with a chip in the coil that will determine the frequency used, could they also not possibly in the future design a coil that could compete with the multi frequency coils?

A few years ago, I remember someone stating that the next major break through in metal detectors would be the coil. Kelley (Texas) :)

The answer if I understand the question is: it has been done a long, long time ago. Maybe not for metal detectors, but using one 'antenna' for multiple frequencies is old hat. One coil, no extra chips and a smart control head that tunes where you want it (within reason). Say you go with the harmonics with 3kHz as the fundamental:
>3kHz
>>6kHz
>>>12kHz
>>>>24kHz
>>>>>48kHz
Now that is quite a span on the spectrum, but the 'tuner' in the control head would center on the desired f, and tune the TX/RX circuits. Of course, as you know, the Eureka works at quite a span itself, and I think I have seen posts that talk of using a WOT on the machine. The hard part is making it equally effective at all desired frequencies. It might be a push to get one coil to work as good as a dedicated coil built around one or two frequencies. There are limits. The x series would be more popular if the chipped coils-thing was not in reality, a handicap (the real function of this 'chip' is disguised in technical nonsense that people parrot-all hogwash, and the rest is a big proprietary secret that the competition is too stupid to figure out). More stuff to go wrong and design around. A concept to improve upon. The Eureka is a much better machine to improve upon with a display, IMO. Darn good no display machine as is. If there were parallel resonant coils (Circuits), they would automatically select for the f in use. Would it harm consumers to know how something really works? Or is it better to treat them like mushrooms? If something is patented or Pat applied for, what purpose would the 'big' secret be? BS.
AND the coil is BLUE!
Cannonball

What a great idea, having colored coils to match each X-Terra. In addition to the universal 7.5 kHz Black coil, we have the 7.5 kHz in Wineberry to match the X-30, an 18.75 in Navy blue to match the X-50 and a dark gray one in 3 kHz that nicely contrasts the Notre Dame Grey of my X-70. No more worrying about which coil goes with which detector. Or, in the case of the new 6-inch DD coils, simply match up the color scheme and start detecting! :rofl: HH Randy

Is that a 10inch elliptical coil for the X-Terra 30, or is this the first of April?:yikes:
I went to the Minelab shop in Sydney at Christmas, and the fella there didn't even realise that there was any DD coils for the thirty.
Mick Evans.

the ever popular with the ladies, hot pink 5x10 at 18.75mhz for the XT70 used to find that ever sweet gold for the significant other that you promised that this'll be the absolutely last metal detector purchase that you make as she rolls her eyes and walks away.

what a dumb question anyway...

I thought I would just have a little fun :poke: with my PhotoShop program.
By the way, tell the guy at the shop that, not only is there a DD coil for the X-30, you saw a picture of the 6-inch coil online! Whoops! There I go again. :poke: :devil:

HH Randy