Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Sovereign GT or Nautilus IIB/IIBA

TrevorL

Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my old Fisher 1260X and have narrowed my choice down to two detectors - the Minelab Sovereign GT and the Nautilus IIB/IIBA. Could any of you knowledgeable people out there help me make up my mind.
I live in the UK and want to find, mainly, deep coins on the land as well as the beach.

Many thanks

Trevor

Isn't it a shame we can't take a couple detectors and try them out side by side?
I say Trevor ol'chap, I've heard that Nautilus makes a jolly good ol' relic machine. But I have heard nothing about how well they are at deep coins. On the other hand I heard wonderful things about the GT when it comes to coin shooting and have had good luck with mine as well.
Hopefully some of the wizards of the forum will take pity on your quest and share some insight for you.

I use the Gt for the beach, no so much for the depth, but for the coverage I get. With the double-d coils, it can cover more area and it will pick up targets that are close to the coil. So to me that's an advantage over my other beach machine. When the targets are few and far between I don't use the Gt. I have also used the the Gt to relic hunt and was very disappointed in its performance. The field was pretty clean as far as trash goes, but I felt like I wasn't getting the depth I should have been getting, especially after using the Nautilus II-B for relic/coin hunting. The GT is my third Sovereign and the II-B is my third Nautilus. I have used many detectors and I keep coming back to a Nautilus. There is no other machine on the market that will get the depth it gets, especially where I live for coins and relics. I really like both machines for different reasons, and I'm glad I own both.

Most die hard detectorists have several machines and his two have both stood the test of time even though new models have came upon the scene over the years...Basically if you can afford it do own several as one won't do it all...
Sov's excell on saltwater beaches, iron infested or junk areas and have a super multi audio system along with a excellent ID meter.
On the other hand Nautilus units are depth demons and excell for relic hunters.
Both are heavy and have seen various mods on either that make them more ergonomic easier to use.
Go to a mult-line dealer and try them on for size explain what your hunting conditions are and the dealer should be able to help. In addendum both are excellent units and if you hunt in various situations might be nice to have both...

[quote TrevorL]Hi

I live in the UK and want to find, mainly, deep coins on the land as well as the beach.

Many thanks

Trevor[/quote]

I have heard excellent thing about nautilus and will one day own one just for relic Hunt's or coins, but it is not for use on a beach from what I heard and Sov GT will do both the beach and relic's and coins, so you choose and if you can get both then you wouldn't be asking this question ;) , now I have a sov GT and enjoy it for all kinds of hunting, that's the reason I bought it was because I could use it for land or beach, fine machine and it probable isn't close to the nautilus on dry land but it still hunts dry land..... just my 2 cents!!!!!!

Thanks for all the good advice.
Yes, I think I will eventually get both.
I have a small sailing boat which will be laid up in my yard until 2008 , and I may not be near any beaches for a while, so I will buy a Nautilus IIB initially for detecting on farm land, then buy a Sovereign GT later.
I assume the Sovereign GT will have a considerable advantage over the Fisher 1260X when detecting on the beach.
Regards
Trevor