Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MINELAB REPAIR IS GOING COST ME WHAT?!?!?!

I just called Minelab and they said they would charge $65 an hour to fix my SE Pro AND I would have to cover to ship it both ways. Has anyone else sent in their detector to Minelab? Did they fix it or was it a ripoff? Is it worth the month delay... Any input would be great. -Taylor

Taylor,

I wouldn't have a problem with the shipping but I would request that they provided an estimate before I authorized any repair. ML machines can be pricey to repair depending on the problem. What exactly is wrong with your machine?

Bill (S. CA)

I agree with Bill on the estimate. Hobbies arent cheap and more and more of the cost is being passed on to us .... especially once a warranty is gone. I hope its not something simple.

Dew

At the end of last year I bought a Explorer XS from someone on the detector for sale forum.He told me it was in perfect condition.After putting less than 20 hours on it, it completely died on me.I sent it off to Minelab and after 6 weeks I got a call form their Tech saying I can get it fixed for $600.00.Needless to say I didn't get it fixed and they sent it back to me free of charge.Good Luck...

took me about amonth on my repairs wont know how well fixed yet lucky mine,s still under warenty get it back wedensday

[size=large]my explorer se pro is the only and last minelab i'll buy. i have yet to hear one good thing about their repair process. i have 1.5 yrs. left on my warranty and 1 extra from New England Detectors. after that if this thing breaks i'll replace it with another brand of machine.

HH[/size]

are you happy with the way your machine finds coins. if its a good machine why would you not get another one. just because you heard that the service was bad. don't think you'll find any better at finding coins than minelab. who does the repairs for that extra year from your dealer.

[size=large]don't know who does the repair. you'd have to ask New England Detectors. i'm quite happy with my whites mxt pro at finding silver. i don't subscribe to this machine is better at it than the other machines. every forum here has folks finding gold and silver and coins.from what i'm reading it really ends up on how well the user is with the machine they have. i'm not out to find it all. i'm out for the fun of it. the longer i practice the better my finds have been and the more i'm enjoying the hobby. certain machines gain reputations. it's gained over time and accumulation of reports. same thing with cars. fords are crappy. chevy's are crappy. actually both have there fans and critics. i fell for the hype of minelab and have found i don't care for it. i prefer whites. in a head to head a ml person will hunt their heart out against me. at the end of the hunt the ml person will have piles of stuff and will be all tired out and gloating. i on the other hand will have some stuff and be a little tired but contented with my finds. i'm not in a race. i have what suits me.
back to the cost of repairs. compared to other companies minelab has the worse rep on repairs. if your happy with that then good for you. i'm not.
greed runs all corps. some understand the importance of great pr and service that helps overcome over pricing of products.and this leads to more sales. i feel ml fails in the service dept. jmo

HH [/size]

I would strip it down and sell the parts off , explorer parts do sell for good money , sell the parts off and put money towards a good little used replacement. Thats what i would do. I hate paying expensive repair bills! :)

Kenny Ray said:
At the end of last year I bought a Explorer XS from someone on the detector for sale forum.He told me it was in perfect condition.After putting less than 20 hours on it, it completely died on me.I sent it off to Minelab and after 6 weeks I got a call form their Tech saying I can get it fixed for $600.00.Needless to say I didn't get it fixed and they sent it back to me free of charge.Good Luck...

Wow...talk about a ripoff! It cost less then that to manufacture a brand new one. I really want a Minelab...Excal II and possibly a GT but the servicing of them has me really considering passing them up. I am a member of 2 different MD clubs and plenty of people run Minelab detectors as they one of the best when working. Most love them as long as they are working...but not a single one of them that ever had to send one in for repair had anything positive to say about the cost or time it took. Pretty much their stand was...best machines but worst customer service. One good thing now though....at least now (since first of July) the warranty is transferable if you buy or sell one purchased from this month on. Wish they sold an extended warranty...sounds like it would be worth it in the long run.

I run an Explorer also. Great machines but mine is a XS and if something happens to it now, its done. Minelab wont rix the XS machines any more. I have had to experience with their customer service and i had to buy a new machine for my wife while waiting for her machine to get fixed. I had to send it back to them twice and they replaced the main board both times. Cost me a couple hundred bucks and it was almost a year before i got it back in working condition. But it also cost me alot more because my wife wanted to detect so i bought her another Minelab Xterra. Will i buy another Minelab? Not sure yet. Their warrenty sucks for the price you pay for their machines. Also, if you buy a XS now, it can not be repaired.