Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:minelab:Excal II did it again!

Pancakes

I had my battery charging for 15 hrs, took the Excal out on Sat. It worked fine for about the first hour, then it started acting up and bouncing all over the place. It wouldn't keep a threshold. I even tried turning the sens to 1 as well as Auto. Took a 45 min break, tried another location, the same thing happened again after about 45 mins. So I am sending it back to Minelab...called today...hopefully the turnaround time will be quick. :ranting:

P.S. I will post some pics of the finds for that day...

Before you send it back make sure the coil cover is clean and the battery is fully charged check the voltage........

If you are running with a coil cover, then check for sand under the cover. That has caused me problems in the past.

Also, try turning down your volume in order to stabilize the threshold.

If these do not work, then a trip back to Minelab would be needed.

Steve from Ohio said:
If you are running with a coil cover, then check for sand under the cover. That has caused me problems in the past.

Why would you turn down the volume to stabilize the threshold????I run my volume wide open on all my excals and the threshold remains stable. My vote is a bad battery or other internals send it back

might have crack in coil and after it gets wet it will act crazy..................run fine in damp and dry, but once wet..............no go to good.

let us know

If the volume POT is flakey then that will make the threshold sound like it's going up and down. Try it in a different spot and if it's fine then clean the volume pot. See the mods forum for info on cleaning that. Like he said you could have a hair line crack in the coil. Another thing that could cause this is a coil winding which is loose. When the coil changes to a certain temperture the windings might get out of alignment.

pancake i just sent my explorer in today spoke with service department they said they are swamped they said 1 month maybe more

erikk said:
Steve from Ohio said:

Why would you turn down the volume to stabilize the threshold????I run my volume wide open on all my excals and the threshold remains stable. My vote is a bad battery or other internals send it back
I got that from some old time Excalibur users and it works.

Seems the circuitry in the Excalibur is all tied together and changes in any of the knobs may affect other functions as well.

I've noticed that when I set my Excalibur up, if the threshold is uneven and unstable, sometimes I can get it stable with cutting back or increasing the volume control. Not sure why it works but it does with my Excalibur II 1000.

Try it...you may find it works with yours also.

Thanks for all the replys...I took the coil cover off while it was happening, no change. I didn't try cutting back the volume...I don't hink the two are linked. Just playing it safe and sending it back. I was told a turn around time of 30 business days...

So I guess I have to go out and buy a new toy in the mean time! :thumbup:

holy cow 30 business days?
that is like 1month and a half. 6 weeks!! :(
I may have to change my mind of purchasing a ML. Where would I have to ship it Malasia?

I think you can find Minelab dealers that do repairs or at least US repair warehouses? Remember what time of year it is. Everybody is getting ready for spring so the rush is on to send machines in to fix problems that crept up over last summer.

Yea...it's a long time but it is what it is. I rather send it back to the company... Luckily I have a brother who owns 9 detectors, so I can poach off of him for a while! LOL