Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Equinox 800 6" Coil on Iron Infested Site

ldhrelics

I took the Equinox 800 out to a very difficult cellar hole that I've hunted to death with many detectors and coils to try the 6" coil with the standard iron bias. This site has given up many great finds over the years, but finding a "keeper" these days is difficult. This site serves as my "test garden" away from home. There is over an acre of almost constant iron signals with much of it being large and/or irregular shaped targets. Lots of horseshoes, stove parts, farm machinery parts, etc. The site was lived on from the 1700's until probably around the 1950's so you can imagine the possibility of some good relics and coins just waiting to be found.

A year of so ago, I took the XP Deus with the 9" standard coil and the CTX 3030 using the 6" coil to this site and found 12 flat buttons and a large cent and various other nonferrous relics that I had missed over the years; all in a very small area behind where the house set. I've had many times that I went to this site and did very well and times I couldn't get my coil over anything worthwhile; you know how it goes.

Using the Equinox 800 with the small coil didn't fair as well as I had expected. I experimented with the iron bias, recovery speed, etc. but kept finding iron targets that gave a good signal. Am I missing something? This was an experimental day in which I dug a lot of signals that I pretty well identified as iron, but dug anyway to make sure since I was in test mode.

I have since updated the Equinox an went back to the same site to test the F2 bias feature. I'll post that video later, but I'll tell you up front that it didn't do much better. But as I said earlier; this is an extremely tough site to detect with any detector. I've hunted sites with mostly nails and bottle caps with the 11" coil and it seems like I don't dig nearly as much trash. I've got a lot more testing to do before I can pass judgement on the 6" coil.

I edited this video down from around 6 hours to 30 minutes. My goal was to go back and really listen to the signals and to try to develop a better understanding of what I was hearing.

I do have sever hearing loss and terrible tinnitus in my right ear and chose not to use headphones so everyone could hear the signals better. I'm sure this make a big difference.

So, if you watch the video, please let me know what I may be doing wrong or give me some pointers if you can.

Thanks for watching.

By the way, my avatar image was found on this site.

[video]https://youtu.be/1fe8VP-vg68[/video]

You did good considering how hard you have hit that place in the pest... I hunt a similar place in my area and have struggled thru the same learning curve except I dug a lot more iron cause I had my sensitivity too high...sometimes the main problem is our expectations, we take a new machine to a site that is iron rich and non ferrous sparse and expect to clean house.. I too could hunt my spot with my sov gt ,which has served me very well ,and have a nice quiet hunt with minimal iron and minimal targets as well, but we aren’t hunting a non ferrous rich site anymore all the easy pickings are gone... most of the iron you dug was round or had a curve in it which should probably be expected... I believe the noise cancel is supposed to be done with the coil waist high... a little rain wouldn’t hurt either... I didn’t own a 6” coil last fall so didn’t get a chance to use it in the field yet ... I can tell you that I have found flat buttons that read rather low like 4 or 6... the hardest lesson I’ve had to learn about the nox is to know when to turn the sensitivity down a little.... I’m sure you will be successful with it... I have a lot to learn about myself....