Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab E-Trac coils

kevinslack

i just bought the Minelab E-Trac with the 11 inch DD coil. should have it friday. i hunt the parks and was wondering if i should buy another coil for it, because of all the trash in the parks. thanks

That coil it comes with has great separation. Etrac is good in iron, just work slowly. That is what I would do until you get used to it . Then decide. I am still not ready for another coil yet, because everytime I go back out to the same places I've been going over and over I pull out nicer and deeper tatgets. Congradulations and HH Joe

etracjoe said:
That coil it comes with has great separation. Etrac is good in iron, just work slowly. That is what I would do until you get used to it . Then decide. I am still not ready for another coil yet, because everytime I go back out to the same places I've been going over and over I pull out nicer and deeper tatgets. Congradulations and HH Joe

Aloha I agree with Joe, the separation on the 11 inch coil is great and you should try out first. After a month or so if you feel you need a smaller coil the Sun Ray 5 inch is a good one to get. I use it when I can see millions of beer caps on the ground. But my go to coil is still the stock Minelab, this is a winner.

HH, Paul

Stick with the stock coil for a while.I have a minelab 8" but use it about once a year.Good luck with the new unit you will love it

My Opinion would be for a smaller coil to help learn the E-Trac and find the X-8 of Sun Rays is a great smaller coil or even the SEF 8X6 seems to be one that is a favorite for many. I have the 6X8 I got last fall and only had a few times to try it, but what I see so far it has done very good. I had the Sun Ray X-8 before and I really like this coil and sold it to a local guy that tried it and wanted it bad, so I trying the 8X6 but plan on getting the X-8 again before the season starts here again.
The stock pro coil is a great coil too and does decent in separation and probably used more than any other coil,but the smaller coils can help you learn the E-Trac faster and they do a great job too.

I'll second that on the Sun Ray X 8. I don't know if there has ever been a better match made for coil and detector.

Kevin - take the great advice given here by the experienced guys and wait some before you jump in and buy a different coil.

I ran out quick and got the 6x8 SEF and the 12x15 SEF. I haven't even used the 6x8 yet and only used the 12x15 a few times.

The stock coil is such a great all around coil that you really should hold off and get very comfortable with your new E-Trac and stock coil setup before you jump into something else.
If money is no object, then by all means load up on everything that's out there BUT before I'd even consider any other coils I'd strongly recommend that you get a Sunray X-1 probe. That's one tool I can't live without. And it's awesome hearing the tones when probing - especially so in a trashy area...
Barry

I own the 15x12 sef coil and recently bought the 8x6 sef coil. Both have found silver coins. However I use the stock Pro coil most of the time and it has, without a doubt, found most of my good finds. If you've got the money and want some toys, then, by all means, buy another coil to have fun with. However another coil is certainly not a necessity. Nick_A hunts exclusively with the E-trac and stock Pro coil. He found 299 silver coins in 2009. I've got two additional coils but only found 31 silver coins last year. What makes the biggest difference in how much you will find is not the number of coils you have...it's the number of times you get out there and hunt. So be confident with your Pro coil, get out there and hunt.

Best of luck to you

I find that the stock 11" coil works just fine most everywhere. I'd suggest that you try it first and see if it works for you. Some people swear by conductive sounds and multi tones but I like ferrous sounds and two tones best. It falses much less that way. I also run auto+3, fast on, deep on, Jason's relic pattern (you should be able to find it with a search of last years posts), I like pitch hold too. You'll find that the ferrous number doesn't stray too much from the 12 area and the conductive only drops on really deep targets. The conductive number is VERY reliable. I find good stuff in trashy, hunted out parks by digging iffy signals because with the ET, they aren't that iffy.

You''ll be glad you got it.

J

yes i ordered the Sunray X-1 probe Saturday i know it will help when i get deep into the hole. i really don't know anything about the conductive and ferrous numbers i just hunt by sound in multi tones with my settings high. high sounds for coins and a low sound for the nickle. i made a program for it by having it learn some coins i put into it and that's all I'm using right now. once i learn those sounds real good then i will try to fined rings.