Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Military eagle ID question

ne_seeker

I dug this eagle emblem several days ago in a corn field where I have also found flat buttons, a couple of mid 1800's small cents, and other assorted small items. I have not been successful in finding identification info so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I would like to determine the approximate age and how the eagle was displayed.

It measures about 1 1/2 inches across and I think it's made of brass. Front and rear views are shown.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

it is a union eagle buton look and see if there is any letters in the shield (A FOR ARTILLERY C FOR CALVARY I FOR IFANTRY R FOR RIFLEMAN OR V FOR VOLTIGUIR LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS NO LETTERS IT IS A GENERAL SERVINE BUTTON UNION ARMY ISSUE GOOD LUCK NICE FIND:thumbup:

With the piece being about an inch and a half across, I'd lean toward a rosette-type relic. Your eagle is similar to the pattern used between 1821 and 1840, particularly with the raised shield and what I call "chicken legs" on the bottom of the design.

The "attachment devices" on back are unusual. Do they appear whole to you? Not broken?

Interesting piece. Congratulations on the find.

Thanks for your reply.

The attachment areas appear to be slightly different. On one side the "flange" appears to be complete and looks smooth under magnification. The one on the other side is a bit wider and the outer edge is rough with a broken appearance.

I'm still inclined to think rosette, although I admit I've not seen an attachment means like this. But I'm not a rosette expert, I just have 30+ years in digging and attending shows, etc. In Colonial sites, I've dug rosettes this small. Some smaller, in fact.

The war period US rosettes have the attachment devices in the same location as yours, 9 and 3 o'clock, but when attached to the bit are at 12 and 6.

Not long after posting last, I was reminded of another eagle device similar to yours that dated closer to the latter part of that time frame I listed. With that in mind, I'm thinking closer to 1840 as a date on the piece.

That's my conclusion -- 1830's, early 40s military rosette. Very neat piece!

I think you have the tongue portion of an early militia two piece buckle with the loop broken off.
the photos are of a replica buckle.

[attachment 74524 eagle.jpg]
[attachment 74525 eagle1.jpg]

Wow, thanks for posting those photos.

Your shot of the back seems to explain the tabs on both sides... the position and shape look just like the item I found. The jagged tab on my eagle is on the same side as the "missing" piece would be. My eagle also seems to match the replica.

Very helpful to see those pictures!