Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Milestones are Bittersweet

Arkie John

Yesterday, our beautiful Ashlea received her senior ring. It is a gorgeous thang...no doubt. For what we paid for it, it SHOULD be. She has worked so hard this past year and is doing well. The ring is the highlight of every junior's year.

I suppose it says, "You've arrived." Yup I reckon that's what it's sayin' to HER.

What it's sayin'to me is, "Geese, it's been 40 years (gulp) since you received yours. Did I say FORTY YEARS??? Forty years. Bless my soul how time flies. Forty years. Where has the time gone? What have I done of worth in that time? And worst of all, I'll be luck to have 25 years left from now, so what am I to do with whatEVER is left???

I go back down the line and remember all the great stuff that has come my way and I realize how very blessed I really am. But there is little comfort in knowing that it has been FORTY YEARS since a scrawny kid from Saline County had his parents sweat blood in order that he might have HIS senior ring.

I still have it by the way. I was talking to Lil' brother tonight and he had his about 6 months. "What happened to it, Thomas," I asked. Oh, Darlene Cox wound up with it and I never got it back. "Get it back," I demanded. Tom, bein' his easy-goin's self said, "Oh hell, I don't even know how to contact her now." I said, "She probably remembers you as the best lookin' man she EVER dated and cherished that ring to this day!" "Yeah, sure thing," he said. He just doesn't have the heart to ask for it back. :lol:

Oh well, the senior ring thing has really rung my bell, as you can tell. I reckon I can pray tonight that Ashlea's ring won't wind up in some boy's sock drawer in six month, until after I am dead and gone.

Does it really matter? Damn right it does. After all I sweated BLOOD for that (nearly) three hundred (gulp) bucks. (Did I say three hundred bucks??) I'm thinkin of puttin' an ad in the school rag...somethin' to the effect of the only things that belong in boys sock drawers are....socks. Maybe not.

Forty years; have mercy. :(:surrender: <><

aj

You did hit the nail on the head...they bring back great memories! I am glad that your daughter has the ring, and let's hope she enjoys it as much as we have enjoyed our class rings. Please have a great day over there in Arkansas! Kelley (Texas) :)

...what would happen to this metal detectin' thang if the senior ring thing didn't happen????

The memories are the greatest part of senior rings. It is a sheer miracle that I still have mine after all these years. I kept pretty close tabs on it. After all, the sixty bucks it cost me was a small fortune in 1966!

Some things never change, eh? <><

aj

Please allow me to share a picture of mine. She graduated in 2000 when these pictures were taken. She's the sparkle in my eye.

[attachment 12938 Tamara-1.jpg]

[attachment 12939 Tamara-2copy.jpg]

Pretty girl. But just WHAT are they doing with their hands and arms in the first picture? :)

sunny skies

M

We just did not have the money back then so I passed up on it. Wish that I had though. They are a tangible link to uour school days!!

Vey pretty young lady. Well done!!! :)

Sunny skies, calm seas, fair winds

M

...it reminds me of the sacrifice that Momma and Daddy did for us kids. That sixty bucks was a good three and maybe four days work for Daddy.

I got off light.

Ashlea is a real blessing to us. Not to brag, but she is even more beautiful on the inside. I read the story to her and showed her the photo. She liked it! I'm mildly surprised. Teenagers are so picky about the way they look. She noticed that I put some "make-up" on her during the touchup.

Thanks for posting, buddy. Give Alice a hug for us all and a bit of encouragement.

aj

Man I miss those days. I remember when she was in grade school she used to walk down the school hall holding my finger she was so small. I have memories so thick you could cut them with a knife! She and my son have brought me so much joy.

are precious.. Recieving a school ring gives you that special feeling,you have reached a major stepping stone in life.. a time to move on,to reach higher goals. When our daughters,{or sons) receive their rings,its a proud time of live,knowing how its thier time,to move on to bigger goals,and hopefully prosper in the near future..Boy,seems forever raising kids to finally graduate,then suddenly their on their own! I remember exactly when and where i lost my 1966 "Beverly Trade School" purple stoned class ring,while diving in a quarry in Rockport Ma. Didn't own it two years.Needless to say,i was abit upset..RJ

Cherish the moment, rings can be replaced but those memories can't!

Dave

It is amazing how important those rings are to some and how little they mean to others.

I read a detecting story about a diver that found dozens of school ring in one small area. He got to looking at them and they were from the same school and just a couple years. With a little investigation he found that the Panpered little darlings all got together and went to the lake and threw them in. They thought it was funny. I found it rather disgusting.

I have found a lot of them and returned all I could. One was to the family of a girl that graduated in 1932. They really mean a lot to most that recieve them.

Tom ought to try to get that ring back. I doubt it means much to the girl now.

n/t

n/t

n/t

taking another step in her life's course soon too.like royal said,those things mean more to some than others.i never bought one,heck i had to work the day after graduation at the lumberyard and had to hold off on the beer drinkin':biggrin:.

i've never been a jewelry person anyway,hope your daughter meets with success and her troubles are few.

n/t