Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mikes post, Diving for Dinner in one post :D

Royal

July, 1967. I was in the third year of university working towards a marine biology degree. And, as so often happens, we students had to get summer jobs. My father was not a wealthy man, and while he helped out where he could, the bulk of my university expenses we covered by me, either through bursaries and scholarships, or summer jobs. This summer had been good to me; I had found 2 jobs.

The first job, and the one that paid the most, was working at a local pulp mill. This was a particularly dirty and disgusting job.I still shudder at the thought. One of the parts of the job entailed crawling into the ovens that were used to dry the pulp and vacuuming the filters. The temperatures were about 140 degrees so, on a hot sunny day, you really felt that heat. I drank gallons of water and swallowed salt pills like they were going out of style.

Ah, but the other job was a dream come true. I had been diving, at that point, for nine years. I had never been certified, but I still felt that I was a reasonably competent diver. The fellows at the dive shop must have thought so too, since they took out me out for a checkout dive and granted me the certificate immediately. This was the B.C. Safety Council and Vancouver Island Council of Divers certification. I still have those cards, and while I also have the NAUI and PADI cards, those first two mean more to me.

Once I had been certified by the scuba shop, they asked if I was interested in doing some instructing. I asked how often, explaining that the pulp mill job was the main money earner for me. They however, said that they could work around my mill work schedule. Perfect!!! And since I was taking marine biology, I could give

I have been on walls that dropped two thousand + feet and it is spooky. You have to watch your depth all the time on those dang drops or you can get in trouble fast, as you did!!

n/t

And octopus are really not bad at all. They really only want to get away.

Fair winds

M

sometimes i get greedy and go too fast, about the third read it gets much better:biggrin:
Wayne