Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mike or Wayne, do you have what is known as a "Whistle Pig?"..............

Kelley (Texas)

I met a man today that said that many years ago, he saw a large squirrel in Canada that was called a "Whistle Pig." He said that it was about the size of a common house cat, sorta looked like a beaver with a squirrel tail. Is there such a thing? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

In our north field we have what is called whistlers, or groundhogs. they are pretty small and live in groups. Gotta be careful with them because they make their tunnels and the horses can, and have, stepped in those holes. The Jacks take care of them pretty well.

They are fairly small so I suspect the friend is talking about marmots. They are quite large [comparatively] and you can hear their whistle from a long distance away. They can weigh up to about 16 - 18 pounds I think. There is one species, on Vancouver Island, where Wayne lives, that is Canadas' most endangered species.

[attachment 73186 vimarmot.jpg]

This the V.I Marmot.

[attachment 73187 marmot_m_wigg.jpg]

This is the one we have up here.

Fair winds

Mikie

that the marmots in Yellowstone are brezen little beggars.... If ya set your backpack down to take a pic or look at something, ya better kick it before ya put it up on your back! Might have one of them inside!:rofl:

The South Texas El Charro Squirrel will weigh approximately 30 pounds and will feed a family of four for two days or so. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

they are coming back now and i promise to be a good boy:biggrin:
We had "Whistle Pigs" in Alberta, aka "Hoary Marmot" kinda blonde they were;)

n/t

The ones in our area are pretty stupid. Might because of my old 220 Swift that they are dysfunctional in this neck of the woods. Never had a chance to learn how to chuck wood properly. I cut my own throat, now I have to do it myself....

Geo

The ones in our area are pretty stupid. Might because of my old 220 Swift that they are dysfunctional in this neck of the woods. Never had a chance to learn how to chuck wood properly. I cut my own throat, now I have to do it

i changed from a 22-250 to a triple deuce for varmints because i seldom hit a Coyote at the ranges it was capable of on the windy prairie and less muzzle jump as well as powder consumption. Seems old Wiley E never cooperated by standing still at 300 yards while i found a rest:biggrin: I used to pick up .308 brass off the range then neck it to .243, then down to 22.250, anneal it, then ream the necks, Sheesh! The things we would do to try and save a dollar.
My buddy had a swift and it was spectacular in performance. I wanted one badly but had too many other toys. My ex knew nothing about guns but she could count!:blink::biggrin:

I still have here a beautiful Ruger #1 in a .222 with a 3 to 9 on it that has taken a lot of game of all sorts. Nice little tac driver for sure, and cheap to shoot. Have a Moseberg 22-250 bolt action and a Browing 78 single also in the 22-250. Cheap to shoot, zero recoil and if you hold and squeeze it should go where its pointed. Got to go help a buddy pull one out with the quad, he just called on the cell phone.....

Geo