Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mike Inspired me:thumbup:

Royal

When I was out visiting Mike and Alice I noticed his raised garden beds. When I was there I took pictures and measurements and took note of the construction techniques he used. I found it came in handy.

Mary had mentioned that she wanted some sorta of garden area so she could plant a few tomato's and such. Maybe some beans, who knows what. Maybe some Basel and mint or some other thing like that.

Our problem here is the fact that we are in a dang woods and no place gets full sun all day long.

I have been watching the sun and noticing where the best place to put a garden would be and picked a spot that looked likely. The problem was there were a bunch of little trees in the area and Mary don't like them cut. Well she went down below for a couple weeks and I decided I would surprise her. I started by cutting down the dang small trees that were shading the area. Then I mowed the weeds and thought about how I was gonna do it. I remembered the ones Mike had put in and found my notes as to his construction techniques. I decided I wanted a long one. I staked off 24 ft and figured 4 ft wide would be fine. I had a bunch of posts and started a digging and setting the posts.

I figured I would have the one end about 2 ft off the ground as that would be comfortable for planting and weeding. I set the posts and strung a line for the level and saw that the other end would be over three ft high! Dang! On well, it sure would be easy to tend.

That has been my project for the last week and a half and Mary has no clue what the hell I am working on. I am sure no carpenter and have taken my time and it has sure helped. I did tell her I had a project going for her but would not tell her what it is. She has no clue. I also told her that if she didn't like it so keep it to herself as it is not ever gonna be moving.

Since the last picture I have lined the sides with heavy duty plastic to keep the dirt and moisture away. The work starts now. I have to fill that bad boy up with dirt. That is a lot of dirt. I am going to clean up the woods of old stumps and other trash and use that as filler and also toss anything else in I can find. It will never be seen. I will then get a half dozen loads of mulch to top it off. Next spring a lot of it will be settled and then I will add some top soil and see what happens. I pretty much finished it today but am thinking of putting a shelf along the facing side for herbs and such. I will see as they are threatening snow flurries this next week. I have been busting my ass to get it done!

This is as I got started
[attachment 108345 IMG_8274_1.jpg]

I have the posts in here and have put up my first top rail. It is made out of 2x6 pressure treated stock and that is hard to handle in 16 ft lengths alone. It was a slow job for sure
[attachment 108346 2875.jpg]

This is a shot of it with the thing almost completed
[attachment 108347 IMG_8279_1.jpg]

Here is a shot of the inside. I have since lined the sides with plastic.
[attachment 108348 IMG_8280_1.jpg]

This is my inspiration and where I got the ideas for building it.
[attachment 108349 P0005570.jpg]

That should make a nice garden. To bad you were not closer, I could bring you a load of nice black horse dirt. We have a big pile out there after 25 years that is perfect dirt.

Geo

and I have had a garage floor poured a few weeks ago and there is a bunch of sand there. It is just something to keep me busy in this fall season. I have to take care of the leaves if they would only drop. We need a good rain and wind storm. I have most of the winterizing done now but still have a little left. Mary is not going to be up until after she votes. I am registered up here and she is registered down there.

Our later ones are much better looking and better constructed. However, since we are using wain.... well, it does have that 'country' look about it. :):

When ours do decide to rot out, I will use cinder blocks and just build around the existing structure.... let it rot in place, as it were. When you took measurements and noted construction techniques, I hope that you did everything different to what I did. Lets face it, I ain't no carpenter.. :):

nice job.

Fair winds

Mikie

would be to put a nail on one post to rest the board on while you lift the other side to be nailed...then walk down and nail the other end to the other post. How will you prevent the deer and other animals from eating the plants? They will look at the raised garden as being a animal candy store for them. Also, looks like Mike's dog eats good! :rofl: You did good! Please have a great day! Kelley ('Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

n/t

to start at the top and work down. I finally made a jig to hold the one end up and did it that way. If I started at the bottom it would have been easy.

They deer will not be a problem at all. I have not had my hosta bothered in three years because I run one strand of electric wire around the beds at two feet. They only need to touch it with their nose once every couple weeks to keep them honest

n/t

keep throwing money at it

they are terrific but never big enough, sorta like boats:biggrin: The taller the better for old people who can't bend:wiggle:
Filling with stumps and such is a real good idea, just don't use Cedar. Still picking Broccoli and carrots here.