Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mike, here are a couple of nautical goodies...

Ron J

I did Scuba dive a couple of times when i was 17 or so, but never on a Wreck. Most of these items i purchased a Antique stores, flea markets, were gifts by friends, or belonged to my Father. This bell was given to me last summer by a friend/neighbor who cleaned out a house,down the street,abd it was gonna get tossed. I cleaned it up.[attachment 112585 DSC06585.jpg] Here is a ballast stone covered with coral, from a shiprwreck in the Florida Keys. A friend who retrieved a few, gave it to me. I didn't understand at first,whats the big deal, a rock from the Keys? So what? Well it was pointed out to me, there are no natural rocks laying in the Keys, its all sand! He mentioned the Spanish Galleon it was supposed to be, but i forget.[attachment 112587 DSC06590.jpg] I'am sure most of you have heard of Woods Hole, Massachusetts? Dr Ballard who discovered the location of the Titantic was based out of Woods Hole. I found it at a local flea market! I asked the ol gent if it were for real or not, or did someone stencil the name on? He was a "regular" vendor every week, so i believe his story. He lives on Plum Island in Newburyport. He did a clean out of a house there. The house belonged to a Scientist for marine life who worked out of Woods Hole for years...makes sense to me that it is real. [attachment 112588 DSC06594.jpg] Here is a rather large marine beacon, 3 foot tall, that would have been mounted on a large ocean Buoy. The tag on it is marked "District 1 USCG" . District one, designates the New England States, from New Jersey to Maine, that the Coast Guard of district one, is in charge of Navigation, and eveything else. I never seen one before this, it is unsual to see such a large bowl type fresnel lens.[attachment 112589 DSC06598.jpg] Here is an old speargun, maybe 30 or 40 yrs old. The rubber band is rotted off. Came from the neighbor down the street also. Below it is a piece of driftwood from Mysery Island off Beverly's coast. It has a bronze square spike in it. I am sure it is part of a shipwreck. Quite aged...[attachment 112590 DSC06601.jpg] This compass is about 9" across, similar to yours. It belonged to my Dad. Been around the house since before i was born! Only wish i had asked my Dad where he got it! Got plenty more pictures if anyone is interested ? Rj

And the spear gun.. I still have every one I owned from day one. I started off with a Hawaiian sling, went then to an arbelete junior and so on up to my compressed air version. To be fair, I have not spear fished in many a year.... I just enjoy looking at them and reveling the the memories they stir..

T'would be nice to have a history on the bell.

Fair winds, calm seas

Mikie

Here are some ships wheels, the one on the left, was purchased at a flea market. All wood, and doesn't appear to be a reproduction, It came with a brass shaft and pulley,which i removed. The second is cast, maybe from the 1920's to fifty's? Purchased this one in New Bedford which is where Moby Dick was inspired to be written. New Bedford is an extremely old whaling town,and still has a very large fishing fleet in existence compared to other fishing towns.[attachment 112595 DSC06604.jpg] This wheel is a large one. I need to refasten the hub, also purchased in New Bedford. [attachment 112596 DSC06603.jpg]When viewing ships wheels in Antique stores or flea markets, i am extremely careful in checking it out. I do not want reproduction wheels. There are a lot of them out there,and they appear to be aged,with rust,grime,and some orange stain.They look genuine,but... I find quite a few genuine wheels, that can be pricey. I also notice that some genuine wheels, have string,twine or thin rope, wrapped tightly around the main peg of the wheel, where i assume if it were on top, it means the vessel is steering straight ahead, much like a steering wheel in your car or truck, where the horn bar is even on both sides. Here is a pair of older oar locks, either bronze or brass. You can see "age" with the little hooked ends, and flat seating surface. They are also quite large, meaning the diameter and length of the oars would be larger and much longer than a 6' oar for a dinghy or rowboat.Most oars are 2' in diameter. This pair would have been 3' ! I would guess the oars that would have been used in this pair would have been 12' or so,maybe a lifeboat or older fishing dory. I have never seen another pair. Maybe George has? [attachment 112597 DSC06605.jpg] The next three pictures are of a set of lamps. They all have kerosene burners and electrical sockets,(probably added later). I mean a "set" as in Port,(Left side,Red lens), Starboard, (Right side, Green lens) and Mast or Stern,(Clear lens). I am sure they came from the same vessel, all with matching plugs, and purchased together.[attachment 112599 DSC06610.jpg][attachment 112600 DSC06611.jpg][attachment 112601 DSC06614.jpg]

I got to pick over some of the marine stuff here. Most of it now is in my fathers old bus or the turnks he stored stuff in. I wish we still had the boat yard as we scrapped a lot of old wooden boats and stored stuff for people in the loft. There was a ton of old marine items there. I don't know how many he had but it was a lot. There was a place, might still be there in Essex, CT. thats all they have is old boat items.

You have some great stuff there. All you need on the house is a Widows Walk. I always wanted one on a house. Funny, about 2 miles from me on and old mansion, there is one. I often wonder what the people did who built it. Old Sea Captian, a wifes missing her husband, who's. I'll get a picture of it this week... Seems out of place 30 miles from the ocean. Not going to see any ships returninig to port from here.

George-CT

the metal and wood wheel is like the one that I found down on the Texas Gulf Coast that I made mention to Mike down below in a post to him. You have some neat, interesting stuff. I sure dislike "putting you out" but can you post some more things in the future when you have time? Those old lights would look great displayed on the mantle of a fireplace. This is really a gold mine today, lot of good things being posted by you and Mike. As a matter of fact, this is a great weekend on the Forum...lots of interesting things in addition to seeing Sunny posting again for the moment, my Christmas has come early! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

In the first shot, you will see a few oarlocks similar to yours... Above it is my pneumatic speargun.

[attachment 112607 shipwreck-artifacts-001.jpg]

The second shot is of my third spear gun.

[attachment 112608 shipwreck-artifacts-002.jpg]

the third shot is of my second gun

[attachment 112609 shipwreck-artifacts-003.jpg]

And the fourth shot is of my Hawaiian sling, a porthole, prop, and gurdie.

[attachment 112610 shipwreck-artifacts-004.jpg]

Things do not change much from one coast to the other

Fair winds

mikie

bring them on! I have different things around here too that belonged to my folks, that I either never asked about, or remember the stories behind them. Somehow, way back when, it didn't seem as important as it does now. Wish I had asked more questions or listened more closely! Thanks for sharing these! :)