Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Midwest Refinerys Advice

rever5101

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this place. I have heard good things and I have heard bad. I have 30.5 grams of 14K scrap gold I am lookin to sell and the nearest walk in places around here only give out about $11 a penny weight. Seems like I can get a way better deal from midwest refinery's but I also take a chance on losing my finds with no compensation. Any advice would be very appreciated!

Only other advise to pass on would be .... If there are any piece that are not true gold - to have them sent back. Things like plated or filled. They may charge you a few bucks, but it might be worth it to sell those pieces another way.

i use them as do alot of others on here,but call them to make sure what thay will take as good and bad and make sure to remove any steel pins in chains,earrings ect as it will be classed as bad as it will pick up with a magnet also ask them to return any items not meltedso you can recheck it?

I have used them several times. They are the ONLY ones I trust and have had TERRIBLE experiences elsewhere. Like the others mentioned, just ask for any unacceptable pieces, be returned back to you. I would encourage you to re-weigh your items in troy ozs., because that is how they will be weighed, when received at Midwest. Send in only like karat weights too, as I believe your assay #s are more consistent, when you only send in like karat weights. Use the Dendritics calculator, to get an idea how much the lode is worth. Keep in mind, there will be some weight lost in the melt and the items are never the exact karat weight stamped. Jewelers fudge as much as they can get by with. Here is the link:

http://dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp

n/t

Nearly half of your income from treasure hunting comes from how and where you sell your gold. My wife had friends and friends of friends who wanted to buy rings. I buffed the rings and she sold them. We got far more for them that way than you can get any other way.

Having said that I encourage you to hold onto your treasure. Some items are worth more than others but some have fonder memories than others. Years from now you may wish you had keep them. I come to this conclusion by my own experience and regrets.

I think the advise you and others have received here is some of the best you can get.

Lastly I would hold onto the gold as long as I could but sell quickly when I needed it and accept what you get at that moment . You can always regret having not sold at the top of the market but no one can call it. HH, Mike.