Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Middle shaft question

sport.pilot

Hello everyone,

I am still new to the X-terra 70, and I am learning a lot from using it and reading here. Great site indeed! My question is if anybody has this issue: When I tighten the middle shaft twist lock as much as possible, it is still allows the lower rod/shaft to wiggle a bit. I have tightened the twist-lock as much as possible, loosened it a bit, etc.,in an effort to get it to tighten up, but to no avail. Is this just something I have to live with or do any of you think I might have a defective middle detector shaft/twist-lock? Thanks.

Darryl

Try twisting it all the way in the other direction. I went through the same thing.

I Have had same problem Since I purchased my X-70. In fact I had Twist/Loch striped and replaced under Warr. The best thing to do to limits any movement, is just buy standard black electrical tap after length been set , wrap tight as passable. This will fix any movement when hunting etc. Chuck

Hello there sport.pilot. My X70 has this same wiggle :wiggle: ( slight twisting motion) you are mentioning. I would imagine that the X30 and X50 would have this same twisting motion as well as they seem to incorporate the same shaft pieces with variation only in color. While it is something that I have previously noticed, it is something that does not hinder the operation of the unit and in my eyes I do not seek to correct it.

It is the twist-lock which is allowing the two shafts to rotate but if you look closely at the little metal button that pops through the middle shaft and allows for length adjustment, you will see that it is the slight oversize of the hole in the gray middle shaft that allows and limits the play or twisting. I would assume if that hole were slightly smaller then this would all but eliminate this twisting motion but it may also cause difficulty and/or harsh engagement of that metal button as it tries to lock itself in place. The upper rod as it intersects with the middle rod at this button also has this movement but it seems less pronounced. There is even minute amounts of twist where the lower shaft knuckle mounts to the coil as well and will vary depending upon how much you tighten the wing-nut ( I run mine just slightly snug therefore mine has very slight rotation.).

With the twist locks secured my X70 feels rigid and does not wobble if I shake it up or down or side to side but it does have a minute amount of twist which adds up to maybe 2-3 degrees. I am willing to live with it but I suppose if someone had a relatively easy way to correct it I would do it only if it was not a hobo band-aid kinda fix. I like to use my detector carry/storage bag and therefore I have to collapse my X70 down to fit the bag each time VIA the middle shaft adjustments.

Anyways, I hope I am talking about the same thing you are experiencing and if I am not then at least you know what I am experiencing. :wiggle:

Hopefully somebody might post some ideas

Yes, that is exactly the problem I have as well. You are right, it does not effect the operation of the detector, but it is annoying none the less. I have written to Minelab, lets see what Dick has to say in his reply. I have three other detectors (one is a Minelab) and they do not have this inability to tighten down the shaft correctly). Lets see if they send me new twist locks or come up with some other idea that actually fixes the defect. Thanks for your reply. Per4haps if others write as well, they will adress the problem.