Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detectors

christian_99

I was reviewing some of the previous post's concerning which detector is best for this, that, and essentially any hunting condition and the end result is it depends upon one thing. How motivated you are with the detector you own. Any of us could find a gold coin, any of us could find that particular relic that we have been searching for our whole lives, but it all gets down to one thing. Taking action and going for it. Sure you could own brand X, Y, or Z, but if you don't use it- how in the heck are you gonna find anything?

If you were to take the bottom line machine, say an all metal machine and go into an area where gold rings have been found. Guess what? If you dig in that area, with essentially any machine, you are going to find a gold ring. You might dig more, obviously- but one of the things you are going to eventually dig up is a gold ring!

Brand X, Y, or Z all have one common factor, they detect metal in the ground and if you want to have a difference in the amount of finds you make, be persistent and always think of the most obvious place another person with a machine wouldn't dig. In one area where I have gone detecting many, many, times- in the spring, there are Bush's everywhere with prickers, and vines, and just dense growth! Now in winter this area changes to where the vines have died and can be broken off. Guess what? If one person hunts the area in spring time and there is so much vegetation and growth, is that person going to go into that area with the possibility of snakes, bee's and other animals? Probably not! Now fast forward the tape to winter, the same area is less imposing and you have a better chance of making a good discovery in the SAME exact area. Most of the sites everyone has dug at, have normally been hit by someone else. Your job, as well as my job, is to hit the site having this information in mind. If we go out to a site, more than likely it has been hit by someone else. So we have to "out" think whoever detected the area before. If there is high grass or difficult terrain, what can we do to get into those area's to dig? The most obvious places of digging are actually the best ones to hit. Especially- area's filled with trash. Yes, bottle caps, pop-tops, aluminum foil, and all of those goodies we all love to dig up. How many of you really enjoy digging in those areas? How many of you avoid those area's like the plague? Now, if I am right, the majority of people on this thread, would say- well if its at a good site, I "might" hit it, but generally speaking- most would actually avoid those area's. If there was one area that needed to be pounded the most it is that particular area- due to the same mindset that was presented. No one enjoys digging up trash, no one- so these sites are often written off as impossible due to trash content. The reality of these sites is more than often if the site has been written off due to trash content, guess which site still has the most coins, relics, or other valuables? Yes- that particular site. Sure it will take you much, much, work- however what finds will you make in that site? How many coins, buttons, artifacts, relics, will you find in that site?

As mentioned in a previous post- in one area that I searched, it was incredible. The area was filled with trash, actually quite visible and just beneath the surface- cans, trash on the ground, pop-tabs, pull-tabs, and so much junk old tires, papers, just laying on the ground EVERYWHERE! Where was the best place to hunt? That place! After thirty minutes of digging trash and removing the "junk", I unearthed a union breast plate actually at about the depth of say 2". All I had to do was dust away the top layer of soil and there it was. Once I found this, I really started to clean up just a bit more and listen better to the signals, I started finding bullets and then buttons started popping out of the ground- all in the area about the size of a large dining room. Sure it took me some time to clean up the area, but I was fortunate to come home with some great relics and actually spending less time in doing so had I gone to another area. Total take for a few hours of work, 1 breast plate, 5 buttons, 16 bullets, and a few percussion caps.

So those are some quick hints to assist you, with any machine that you own- in finding the better finds. Be motivated and persistent and out think whoever detected the site before you. Focus on area's that have difficult terrain or are trash laiden. You might be surprised what is in the trash!!!!