Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detecting in Virgina Beach

Bob Stephens

:)Hi Gang! Greetings from Canada. We're thinking of visiting Virginia Beach in the early fall to do some land and water hunting. We wanted to check with those of you in the know regarding regulations for metal detecting this area.

Do non residents need any type of permit to hunt the beach areas and are there any special restrictions on metal detecting anywhere in the Virginia Beach area? (I know from experience there is no metal detecting allowed on National Seashore properties in the U.S.A.)

I think hunting Virginia Beach would be a fascincating experience and in the course of researching a holiday here, we wanted to check and see if there are any potential pitfalls we should know about.

Any advice or insights would be much appreciated.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting to all.

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

No pitfalls, no restrictions, nothing much to plan for. Just try to make it as early fall as possible, because once the tourists are gone and with all the people we have hitting the beach with detectors here, it doesn't take long for things to cool WAY down target-wise in the fall and winter. From now until Labor Day and for a good month after that things will be getting very good and lots of good finds. As the colder weather comes and there are no more fresh drops, things will drop off dramatically. The most excellent time for beach detecting here is from the start of July through the end of September.

I am also planning a trip to Virgina Beach and would like some suggestions on hotels right on the beach with no driving involved to start detecting.
I am hoping to get there on July 1st for 2 weeks. Please save a few pieces of gold for me.. thanks...lol.

there are more on pacific ave. (next over from ocean) and then even more landward from there and they get cheaper as u get landward

hundreds to chose from

Thanks.
I got a reservation at the Econo Lodge on the Ocean. Will arrive on July 1st, probably late, 12 hour drive from Toronto,and be there till the 8th. Maybe I will leave on Friday after work and drive part way. I am looking forward to meeting a few of you guys on the beach.

On another note,I am making a straight shaft for my Excalibur so hopefully it will be a little easier on the arm, shoulder, back, etc. Detected at Wasaga Beach for about 8 hours yesterday, with a break after 4 hours for lunch and it really wore me out. Not many signals but did manage a small gold locket and about $4 in clad.
Also I met Clive Clynick in Wasaga and I just happened to have his book "Finding Gold, Silver and Coins with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur" with me that he graciously signed for me. If you own one of those detectors, I highly recommend his book. It's been a real help and an eye opener for me.
Looking forward to getting some salt water on my Exclalibur.

:)Hi Mike! Good to hear from you. Many thanks for your insight and advice. We're looking forward to "hitting the lane" and finds or no finds, it'll be a terrific experience.

Thanks again and Best of Luck with your hunts!

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ont.

:)Hi Gravedigger Max! Thanks for your advice and encouragement. We're starting to research things like tide charts and I'm gearing up for our first real saltwater hunts ever. We're looking forward to visiting the Beach and I have no doubt I'll be learning some new skills for oceanside hunting.

I'm learing the "beach hunting lingo" and am keen to get "on the lane" and look for gold and whatever we find - clad, nitro, CZ or whatever, it should be fun and adventurous.

Best Regards and Happy Hunting!

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ont. :fisher: