Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detecting in the rain

UFOsAreReal

I have a dust/rain cover for my Whites DFX. It should be here by the weekend. Unfortunately the weather report for sunny California is rain through Sunday.
Although I have no desire to metal detect in the rain.. I was wondering if anyone else has used covers for their detectors, and if so, how effective are they at keeping out the water? I may want to detect in the drizzle.

I've detected in the rain a lot. It's great for ground conductivity. Better if the rain seeps into the ground. I have also had to send my unit back to Whites once. Caught in a rainstorm. Even the clear plastic bag I put over the unit did not help. It's not just the rain that can leak into the unit that can cause damage. It was the condensation that forms inside the plastic display that is not good for the machine. Kind of like the moisture that forms inside your house windows under certain conditions.So bagging it works for a while, but if you plan to stay out all day or it's raining very hard, I would not recommend it. Just my opinion.

Here in Vancouver BC we get 2700 mm of rain a year on the north shore mountains. I hunt rain or shine as coinnut say's the rain is better for finding the target. The Troy X5 electronics are sealed and it has worked fine in heavy rain but I do put a plastic bag over the control unit. Because I also water hunt sometimes I will take a water unit out. I have an explore 11 and don't think I would take it out. DAN

I personally would not intentionally bring my MD (XLT) out in the rain. Wait till it stops raining and detect all you want. Kind of a risk to take a non water proof MD out into a heavy rain. Just MHO (my humble opinion). Too much of an investment to risk the possible damage.

Ray S.