Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detecting Among the Daffodils!

Jim Vokes NY

My friend Chuck and I hiked into a woods this day, down an old lane to find a cellar hole. Light rain falling into a misty atmosphere set the tone for an interesting day.

Using an 1860

I do not know if it is scarce, valuable, or anything ..... and since it is not for sale, it hardly matters. But to find a large US cent in Victoria, B.C..... now that is rare.:)

sunny skies

M

It was found in a farm field where a ghost town used to be. It is in wonderful condition. The Federal Government only started minting in 1793 so I only missed by a year.

Someday, I will post that story!

Very nice find! My friend! You have every right to be proud!

Jim

guess you can't always judge a site by it's cover:).hey jim,didn't you say you lived not far from rochester,i remember having seen a story that rockefeller grew up somewhere close by.i'm surprised when i hear that people find coins at home sites that old because people just didn't have alot of money in those days.usually around stage or wagon stations,or liverys where people did business is where i think coins would be found.

n/t

A lot depends on when an old house was abandoned. If it was in the 1800s than there is usually few coins but also little iron. The coins are always good ones! If the home was abandoned the 1900s, there will be more coins but also lots more junk iron! Also the more children to play and lose coins seems to make a difference! Farm field and woods cellar holes are tough to hunt thoroughly so after a few fruitless trips, you might find some good coins, wondering how you missed them. This happens to me frequently.. So I hate to give up on a site!

Course if it was abandoned in the 1800s but someone had buried a crock of coins like I believe my honey hole farm field is.. then "OH BABY!" The coin count was way to high to be ordinary yard finds. At that site, I have found one Seated Dime, a half dime, a few 2 cent pieces, a couple of 3 cent pieces, a couple of Spanish Reales, several King George Coppers, two flying eagle pennies, a 1799 half dollar, many many Large Cents as well as many colonial buttons and musket balls! Now I never found anything close to that at one site in 25+ years of detecting!

is great to see.

I think my oldest is a 1832 Nova Scoia Half Penny. Their Pennys must have been as big as a dang hubcap because the half penny was as big as a large cent. I can not remember if I have a large cent or not. I might have one I found under a sidewalk in Pontiac.

Thanks for the story. Well written and interesting

I love spots like that because they are too much trouble for most people. That large cent is in nice shape too !! Those are always a thrill for me. Even though I live in Canada, we pull quite a few American coins. Early British as well. I suppose the fact that we didn't become a country until 1867 explains this. Any currency of the day was used along with a variety of tokens. Keep at it Jim and I hope you post another beauty soon !!

Im sure youll find more when you return. I just love to see the daffodils at these old house places, then I try to visualize what the place must of looked like in its prime.

Keep us posted.

Lil Brother:)

Are few and far between I found my only seated half at a spot similar to the one described in your story many years ago.To this day I could show you within a inch the exact spot I dug it.Great story Jim

Yhey are the yellow things

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/dietitian/dh/journal/daffodils.jpg