Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detect in Tunisia

JackyPT

Does anyone have ever detect in Tunisia.
I will go there for vacations in August.
If so... those anyone now the law for metal detect in this country...

Thanks in advance everyone:cheekkiss:

Seems that no one now nothing about metal detect in monastir, Tunisia.
Thanks again

Sorry I didn't see your post.

The last information I had was that metal detecting was not approved of and you would not be allowed to remove any finds from the country.

You could check with their Embassy just in case. In some countries there is a get around in that you can hunt for something that is lost and if you find anything old then its good luck for you. Do check though as you could end up having your equipment confiscated.

Thanks

Well its 2012 the month April ...
Did we get an answer on metal detecting in Tunisia.
Its a place we would like to go to and if metal detecting is allowed all the better....

wow, old post.

That's not one of the locations listed on this link: http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html

There will no doubt be people who will come on to answer "no". Simply because perhaps they've done exactly as UK Brian suggests: "ask their embassy" (or consulate, or border lawyer, or govt. bureaucrat there, etc.....). While seemingly innocent (who better to ask, than the country themselves, afterall? doh!), this type thing has resulted in "no's", for locations, states, countries, etc... where .... quite frankly, it's common-place.

The reasons for the "no's" are probably because whomever someone has asked in the past, couches your answer in terms of things like federal antiquities, shipwreck salvor type laws, exporting gold bars stuff, raiding the pyramaids, etc.... Ie.: laws that predate metal detectors, and are in every country. In other words: If you asked enough bureaucrats here in the USA too, you could probably also find someone to tell you "no" as well. Because they're couching your question in terms of ARPA, or mel fisher legal hassles, federal parks, lost & found laws, etc... blah blah. Yet may never be applied to casual coin hunting, or for modern jewelry, for example. Or any such laws perhaps apply only to federal (or public) land, yet not to private land. So you could hunt private farmer's fields with permission till your arms fall off.

I once sold a detector to a fellow who responded to a classified ad, who was in one of the countries on the link above. The country was one of those with "dire sounding" wording. So I couldn't resist asking him "how do you detect there?". He said that as long as you're not snooping around obvious historic monuments, it's not a problem. Or that they hunt farmer's fields. Or quite frankly, are so far back in the woods, there's no one around. I'm not saying this applies to everywhere in the world, but ....... just saying ....... maybe the best way to find out, is to talk to locals there who know the real skinny. Like is there any dealers there? (manufacturers have lists of their distributors/dealers on their websites). Even if not one in that exact country, perhaps the bordering areas. If you contacted them, they might steer you in the direction of hobbyists who hunt there.

High,
Just spent a week in Hammamet Jasmin. `Bout 80 klicks south of Tunis, right on the Med Sea.
The beach was right in front of the hotel.
I did not see ANY locals with a metal detector, as a matter of fact no tourists detecting either.
Poverty is quite evident all around you, so I felt good having left my unit at home.
Besides, it is forbidden to export ancient artifacts which are considered national treasure.
It is also forbidden to export their currency, which must be exchanged at the airport before leaving the country.
They will exchange in clad only the 5 Denar coins - everything lower has almost no value and can not be exchanged anywhere in the world.
Neither can their bills.
HH
skookum
who got quite sunburned