Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Merories of Honor

Arkie John

So, what will you do this Memorial Day? To whom will you give your respect and your memory?

I just have to share this with you. This afternoon I was driving out of the VA hospital in Little Rock and I pulled up behind a car with a Medal of Honor license plate on it. It was a nice Towncar, gold in color. I peered and saw an older couple, probably in their 70's. I thought, "How blessed I am to know that so many people gave so much for the price of freedom. I tried to dismiss the vision but I could not.

I continued to Hot Springs, inadvertantly reflecting on the old couple in the posh vehicle. At least they are enjoying their golden years in some sort of comfort. God knows they deserve it. Then my mind drifted to those that I knew that paid the ultimate price. My memory drifted to when I first visited the VietNam Memorial in the 1980's.

The air was thick and the surroundings were somber. I entered from the sidewalk coming from the Lincoln memorial. There, before me I saw a huge book with reference numbers so that ifyou knew one's name you could go to that certain panel and find the name engraved on the granite.

My mind blurred to 1970 and I remembered a friend of mine that I went through corps school with. My ship was stationed in Manila and Subic Bay some of the time. It also sailed to Japan, China and to DaNang when needed. When our ship left DaNang the final time, Dennis, a corpsman second class with seven years in the Navy, received orders to stay. He was transported across near the DMZ just before TET to serve independent duty. I never saw him again.

I became aware that I was back, racing through the book. My fingers ran the listing, page after page. "Did he make it?" I thought, over and over, through the years. I had always wondered. When the ship came back to San Diego, I did two more years stateside before being discharged. I had always wondered. Dental Techs and Hospital Corpsmen were usually pretty tight knit but I never heard one way or the other. My fingers flipped the pages with my right index finger sliding down each page. Suddenly there it was...in black and white. My heart just began to pound inside my chest.

My vision blurred from tearing and it was all I could do to keep the least amount of composure. I found his name in the cold granite stone. I reached up, touched it, turned and walked away. Earlier I had gone to the tomb of the unknown soldier. How ironic! Now I knew. Freedom is never free and never so personal for me at that very time.

Below is a listing of people...not just numbers...each one representing family and friends that suffered or suffer through so much. Please take a little time and look at all the sacrifice. You know that most are not Medal of Honor recipients. But you and I can give a Memory of Honor, even right now, to each and every one of them.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day and celebrate the freedoms these folks died for. Give thanks to the living God of Creation and prayers for the families of the fallen.

Here is the listing of our fallen. Sorry I don't have numbers on our present situation.

America's Wars: U.S. Casualties and Veterans

American Revolution (1775

Many of us were touched by the Vietnam War, and unfortunately, many made the ultimate sacrifice serving this great Nation so that we can live in the land of the "free." Your posted story was much appreciated. John, please have a safe and great holiday! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have been to live in this free country, only because of the sacrifices many of out military gave as a gift to me.

When I first came within viewing distance of "The Wall", tears stared streaming down my face, and I simply had no choice at stopping them! It was a moment in my life I shall forever have etched in my mind! Then on to the cemetary,...same thing.

A few years after DenniS Robbins was killed in VietNam, who I was very close to, I ran into his poor mother. It was in a grocery store. She walked past me at first, but then turned around at the same moment I turned around to see if that was really her. She came a few steps over to me and we hugged each other and both burst into tears. She told me, "Dennis always enjoyed the letters from you,...I have them with his things a home, along with all his other personal items. I still cannot believe he is not with us anymore!"

It was so awful. In two years, I had gone on with my life, thinking of Dennis from time to time, but nevertheless, going on. Then here was his mother, going on too, but still wanting to talk about him, not just the bad, but the good. She invited me over to her home later that week, and as I sat drinking a glass of tea with her and her daughter, it turned into quite an afternoon. It helped her to be able to talk, and it made me realize how this horrible thing they call war affected people in a lot worse ways than it did me!

I am proud to be an American, but I am saddened by those who protect me, we so affected by it or lost their lives performing this brave act of fighting for our freedom! Life does go on, but our memories will keep us in touch with the reality of it all.

I and some of my children have served and I appreciate the fact that you came back to spur us to remember those who continue to serve, that we may have the freedoms we so take for granted. God was good to us. I had a daughter on the sands of Desert Storm, and another daughter (military linquest) who married a career serviceman. Both daughters are now out, and mothers and I've been blessed with fourteen grandchildren through all my kids.

I can hope that they will be raised to appreciate the sacrifices that have been made on their behalf by the many folks that have walked foreign shores to insure that America remains the 'Land of the free".

Too many memories of those times to walk that lane today, but I do thank you for reminding me to consider them in detail and to be grateful for the freedoms we still share.

Have a blessed an peaceful weekend and holiday!

God Bless!
Expect miracles!