Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memories of the early ranch days! .......................

Kelley (Texas)

For the past month, I have been scanning old photos and storing them on the computer. Later, I plan on making a scrap book to pass on to our Son, and hopefully, he will pass it on to his children.

This set of pictures are of our early days of ranching...some of the happiest days of our lives.

This is a picture of Debbie and I in front of the old house that we had to fix up so that we could live in it.
[attachment 8259 scan10068-2.jpg]

This is a picture of our first bull. This was a Beefmaster Bull, but we later went to a Red Brangus Bull when we decided to develope a pure breed herd of Red Brangus cattle.
[attachment 8260 scan10071-2.jpg]

This is a picture of some of our Red Brangus cows in our foundation herd.
[attachment 8261 scan10065-2.jpg]

This is a picture of a Red Brangus cow and two calves. It was winter and we were feeding some hay to maintain condition of the cows.
[attachment 8262 scan10052-2.jpg]

This is another picture of a Red Brangus cow and her calf. In the back ground is a new stock tank that we had just built.
[attachment 8263 scan10046-2.jpg]

This is a picture of our brand that was registered in Gonzales County, Texas. We branded the cattle "FK" on the right hip. On the left hip, we branded two numbers...the top number was the animal number and the bottom number was the year born. This brand is still registered in my name.
[attachment 8264 MVC-397S.JPG]

Hope that you enjoy the pictures. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I'd like to see that finished scrap book. I'll bet it can tell quite a story. Can't think of a better hierloom for your son. Great work Kelley!

seeing posters sharing pictures of their country and their past. It is very interesting and so different than what I am used to. So flat. That is one thing I noticed the first time I flew into Huston. Everythng is so flat. So much open space, which I am not used to down here in Waterford.

Thanks for posting the pictures Fred!!

All of Texas is not flat. Your area is thick with lots of trees and thick brush where as we have less trees....could be because you folks get more rain than we do. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I did not realize that we had so many film photos when I started posting them to the computer...thank goodness for digital cameras and computers, much easier to do. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

do you have any native grasses in your pastures or is it seeded? Bermuda?
It is obvious that you were raising good healthy stock, they look sleek!
The recent pics i saw of your house showed you did a huge amount of work, expanded and added the porch, terrific!
Thanks for taking the time to post these Fred, more?:thumbup:
Wayne

Coastal Bermuda grass. We had to sprig the Coastal Bermuda grass, no seeds available for it. We would put 300 lbs. of fertilizer per acre on the Coastal Bermuda two times per year, in March and then again in late June. Coastal Bermuda was developed by the King Ranch folks many years ago and is in common use down here. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

to flush a bear out of the brush for a picture. Better yet, if you see some cubs, take a photo of Royal holding one of them....you might want to take the picture from the safety of the truck. :rofl: :rofl: After you get the picture, Royal can make a run for the truck and all will be just fine, trust me! :rofl: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

Great pics Kel and beautiful animals. You got any waterdogs in that stock tank. I seined a bunch of tanks in Texas in the fifties and hauled them little rascals all the way to Boulder City, Nevada to a big wholesaler who distributed them all over Lake Mead and the Colorado River. Back then we got paid $60 a thousand for those little puppies. That was a fun time as we roamed all over the Southwest and hit the big ranches in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, etc.

We were on some big ones. On one in Arizona it was 25 miles from the front gate to the main house. Many of them had several hundred employees. I remember when I was in Texas I picked up a buddy of mine at the bus station in town who had come down from Phoenix to help us out and we had been buzzing along this nice, new, asphalt highway for quite a spell when my buddy asked when we were going to get to the ranch. I told him, " You've been on it for over an hour."

Bill

He'll be perfectly safe as long as he hangs onto the cub. But once he drops it it's all over but the crying if he don't have a hole to jump into. :lol:

Bill

great thing you are doing, Fred. I wish my Dad would have did the same for us. Great pictures and beautiful animals.

Lil Brother