Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memories of Squirrel and Gravy

Arkie John

I know some of you folks shudder at the thought of eating squirrels. But when I was growing up, squirrel was a regular part of our diet. Mother made the best fried squirrel, or even squirrel and dumplings.

But I have to admit, during the past 15 years or so, my appetite has waned a bit, for the taste of squirrel. I believe I have eaten it just once during that time frame.

Well, now, let me tell you about a little problem I've been havin'. I have a slight infestation of squirrels in my wood shop. They can make one heck of a mess. After cleaning up their messes, here lately I have declared informal war on the critters.

Here on the Hilltop, we are overrun with these things. Usually, I have to catch Virginia away from the place before I can "thin them out" a little. But something happened today out of the ordinary. She actually placed an order for six each...for fried squirrel later in the week.

I was delighted. It had been raining for several hours and just was starting to slack. I donned my vest, camo hat and shirt, armed myself with the Winchester 22 that Daddy bought in 1948--the one I killed my FIRST squirrel with at the ripe old age of six.

So the ole boy got his stuff together and set out on a sho-nuff squirrel hunt. As time went by I was able to pop a couple or three and felt sure I could finish the order before dark. I sat down under a tree, waiting for one of the "tree rats" to make a break for it. Being a lull in the action, my mind drifted back to a little hunt that Daddy and I had at Ferguson's Ranch in 1973.

Earlier that year I had purchased a Browning semi-automatic 22 long rifle pistol. It had a ten-shot clip, I think and a six-inch barrel for sure. For some reason, that day I decided I would use my pistol to squirrel hunt with. Daddy just grinned and said, "you're actually gonna USE that thang to kill squirrels?????" I nodded to the affirmative.

So we split up. Daddy went up this creek he had chosen and I went down the creek. Just before we parted company, the ole' man looked at me, shook his head and grinned like a jackass eatin' cactus and said, "I'll eat any squirrel RAW that you kill with that pistol, boy."

Okay, okay, I was really takin' a razin' from Daddy but I didn't care really. I had practiced with the pistol and thought I had a chance of killin' one or maybe two.

As the hunt progressed, I heard Daddy's 22 rifle report as he made his way up the creek. "He must have a sack full," I thought. I ran a couple of the critters to den trees with little to show for my effort. Then I saw one take flight...waaayyy up in the top of a 60-foot pin oak. "Rat tat tat tat tat tattt" went the pistol with nary a hair. I reloaded.

As time went on, my luck changed a little. I stalked a loud-mouthed squirrel that had a touch of curiosity about him. It was his undoing. Three shots and he was on the ground. One down. It wasn't long I had another and soon a third. I was hopin' Daddy would hear my pistol and wonder. As it turned out, he never heard ANY of my shooting.

So you can imagine the surprise on his face when he pulled a total of four squirrels from my vest and laid them out on the ground next to his six. Then he remembered what he had told me. He gave me a funny look. "What Papa?" He sighed and said, "You got any gravy to go with those sons of bitches?"

We just laughed, as we sacked 'em all up and headed for the truck. It had been a good mornin' for sure. I never went squirrel hunting with that pistol again. But that day was a barrel of fun...and a fleeting jewel of a memory that came back to me just today...after thirty-two years.

Can you imagine that?

Back to the here and now, I wound up with half an order. However, Virginia is giving another evening to fill the bill. I'm gonna do my best. Anybody for supper this week?

Thanks for comin' along. <><

What a great memory Arkie... I have never et tree rat yet. However, my jacks nailed one all by themselves a few days back. The little sucker was taunting the dogs, and made a leap for the next tree. He musta misjudged or something because he landed on a branch maybe 2-3 feet from the ground. Nimby leapt up, grabbed his tail and headed off across the field with the others in hot pursuit. Anyway, they had a good meal! :)

calm seas, fair winds

M

Not very often it was for him...but that day he filled up on it.

Hope you two are doing better. Prayin' for y'all. <><

aj

(psalms 71)

and would pressure cook them for a short time, thn drop some dumplings in with them. They are quite tasty, esprcially with some good homemade bread and salad! We are probably grossing some our friends out here on the forum, but I bet Dan has eaten his share of them! Good memories, seems like such a long time ago.........sigh!

do not taste like chicken, as yhey are a dark meat! If I tasted your moose, then turnabouts fair play, don't you think??? :)

hunted squirrels a few times with my oldest brother,he always cleaned them.made a good squirrel shot in arkansas over near mena,he was running up the side of a pretty tall tree and i lead him just right,my buddies brother cleaned him.never did learn to skin one,guess that's why i don't hunt them:biggrin:.

you mentioned your browning pistol,back in the mid 70's i bought a semi-auto marlin glenfield 22 rifle,i really wanted a browning 22 that you loaded in the stock butt on the side,it was a little bit shorter barrel wise i think but it was a real nice balanced gun.it cost twice as much as the marlin.

i watch the prices when i look a gun ads in the paper and my 22 only sells for about 10 dollars more than it did when i bought it 25 to 30 years ago.i think the browning sells for twice what it did at the time.

glad you have good memories with your dad.

game as I grew up and I think it is to this day. I don't hunt much any more but have eaten many a squirrel, muskrat, coon and possum. It is just meat

n/t

friend in my junior high days who had a brother who was buddies with my brother just older than me.his mother married a man and they bought about 80 acres outside mena and i went there for thanksgiving one year and had a blast,it was cold that year and snowed a little and i ran all over the hills with him and his brothers.his mothers marriage didn't work out and they moved back to texas.

Sqiurrels have an excellent diet so I'd bet their meat is good. Don't think I'd eat possum though, like Royal said he's tried. Hey, ya sure showed the "ole man" that day, eh ! No doubt he got a bigger charge out of it than you did ! Memories like that are the best. They never fail to bring a smile to your face !! Great post !

Although I don't hunt as much as I once did-or as much as I would like to-every time I pick up a gun and head to the woods I am blessed with similar memories.Many times while sitting in the woods waiting for game to show my mind drifts back to hunts I had with my father,grandfather,and later on,my son.The heritage of hunting makes for great memories.Thanks for bringing some back.

BTW,That was some impressive shooting getting 4 with that Browning pistol! I used to carry a old single action Savage but seldom brought back any meat with it!

Fried,baked,boiled,barbequed.....We were to squirrels what Bubbas family (In the Forrest Gump movie)were to shrimp!:lol::lol:

lick my lips. Fried and with dumplings would be the only way I'd ever try any again. Get the skillet HOT!

Hey Brother, do you eat the brains like Daddy used to? He'd fry the whole head and while he was at the table, pick one up and CRACKKKK!

Not me though. Good story.

Lil Brother:)

that fpr a fact! As a matter of fact, there's not much either one of us turned down while in Canada, did we? By the way, I told every one how much I gained while I I was up ther, but you didn't!!! :)

Great tale! I've read some articles where pistol hunting for squirrels is popular in some areas. As a kid I had an old Iver Johnson nine shot .22 pistol I carried for snakes. I'd get a squirrel every once in a while, with it.

and fried rabbits.

I would think it would be difficult to hit those squirrels with that pistol and you did good in getting four that day. Do you still have that Browning hand gun? Your story has brought back some fond memories of times that I hunted with my father, thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)