Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meet "Diamond Lil "

Ron J

[attachment 73474 b52006.jpg]While visiting my niece Judy, at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, i saw alot of great sights, on the grounds alone,there were all kinds of Planes on display. One here,two there..etc. The grounds the Academy covers must be huge. I managed a few shots of different planes,even though i am not a flying person, they still draw my attention. This baby was kinda large,and i just had to inspect it closer. Diamond Lil, is a Early fifties B-52 model D. [attachment 73474 b52006.jpg]The Air Force still flies B-52's but different models.[attachment 73476 b52008.jpg] This giant was initially delivered to the Air Force in October 1956, and retired in October 1983. She was hauled 17 miles from Peterson Air Force Base,minus her wings and tail, in December 1983,and final reassembling was completed Sept. 7th,1984. She served the Strategic Air Command, in which by the way,most of the pilots were graduates of this academy! She is only 48' tall,[attachment 73480 b52002.jpg]weighs in at 172,000 lbs., empty that is. 156 ft in length,185 ft wingspan! [attachment 73479 b52001.jpg]Wider than her length! Her speeds could reach 650 mph,and could fly non-stop for 6000 miles! She also carried 4 .50 cals.[attachment 73478 b52009.jpg] with a crew of six. You wouldn't want to feed her,with an inner tank of 41,000 gallons of fuel,and another external tank of 3000 gallons. Imagine filling her for around $ 130,000 a pop? [attachment 73481 b52007.jpg] Rj

n/t

n/t

they have one in every year during the Air Show....Looks like the wings are going to drag on the ground, then it gets a little lift and up they go. I've got a few shots around here of his and one at my daughters I'll post. A friend of mine from Vietnam said when those flew over most of the neighbors just sat there and shook as they knew what was coming. She said the ground would just shake. She and her 2 kids got out by going on a long hike up into cambodia. Her husband decided to stay and got pretty roughed up by the north. He is still there and her and the kids go back once a year to visit. They run a computer store here in CT. Another friend of mine who flew in the B-52 said they would go up do there work and be back in time to see it on the news, never really wanting to visualize what was going on on the ground. He still has problems with it all these years later. He has been back there 3 times now also, but he can't seem to put it all in place.

Geo

Thats up near Royal. I remember seeing them sitting out on the edge of the runway, always ready to go even in the dead of winter, with big heaters going to them with those white tipped nukes on the wings. I guess they would go right over the pole for who was the expected enemy then. They close Wursmith now. Thats shame as I new a lot of retired AF people from there who had gone there just because it was a great place for recreation, like fishing, hunting, boating and a nice base with all they needed and homes then were pretty cheap. George III was there about 20 years ago in Intel.

Geo

He passed away in 88, so I'll never know for sure.