Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Marblehead Massachusetts....

Ron J

Across Beverly/Salem Harbor, and within sight of Hospital Point light is the mouth of Marblehead Harbor. Located on the East side is Marblehead light. Marblehead is known for being a wealthy town, old Yankee money,and "new" money. It is also known as a sailing town. most of the residents who are boaters,are sailors. Yes there are power boats,but sailing is the most popular. There are three yacht clubs around the harbor,and being a member is out of my league! Sort of like golf,sailing is serious money. So is Marblehead! The Lighthouse is located on Marblehead Neck,where property values are in the millions. You need to drive over the causeway,past Devereaux Beach to get there. Here we are looking across Marblehead Harbor at the Light,and The Neck. [attachment 73224 Marbleheadlight035.jpg] Now we are at the park,where the Light is located.[attachment 73225 Marbleheadlight029.jpg] This location has been the sight of a lighthouse since 1835! So you can see,why sailing has always been popular. Since forever! This Light has stood here since 1895! Its very unique,as it is an iron tube,and has a skeleton frame.Its also painted brown,with a black lantern house.[attachment 73227 Marbleheadlight022.jpg] There was a keepers house connected to it for many years,but was turn down. There was 11 different light keepers at this location. During the war years,41-47, the U,S,Army was in control of the property,even though the light was extinguished during these years. The British chased the U.S.S Constitution into this harbor during the Revolution. She was save in the harbor,due to Fort Sewall on the west side of the harbor,ready to blast the Brits if they dared enter. Here you are looking into the west side of the well protected harbor. It gets quite crowded,and moorings are quite a premium.[attachment 73228 Marbleheadlight025.jpg] When i took these pic's,last August, this multimillion dollar vessel was in town. Notice the extremely high masts. [attachment 73229 Marbleheadlight033.jpg] Rj

Does that light house tube have a spiral staircase running up the side of the wall or a ladder running up it? I've climbed a lot of those spiral staircases and by the time you get to the top your hips are out of joint....LOL.... Put up a lot of them also.....once again, loooooooooong day on those. I like that blue hull in the first picture. That looks like a down easter lobster hull, aahya, I really like their accent. Think there are still a few old cast iron light houses up that way also. Believe it or not they used to build bridges out of cast iron also and some are still standing. So of that old iron work is really nice. I know down in Charleston, SC on some of the old homes in the city those porches and railings are all cast iron. Impressive. I always wanted a big kitchen woodstove with all that fancy
cast iron work on it to move the heat about. The little women seems to be hung up on this electric stuff....LOL

Great batch of pictures...

George-CT

That brown and black light is very unusal, never seen one like that before. I am amazed that the boat with the high mast is worth more than a million dollars...boating appears to be very expensive to do, a far cry from a Texas bass boat. Ron, thanks for posting the story and pictures. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

There are hugh numbers of boats there. Was there a regatta or some such thing happening?

Sunny skies

Mikie

n/t

don't think I've seen that one!

n/t

n/t