Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manufacturers mark on silver bar

Oldguy

I found this silver bar in the late 1970s using a Whites TR Discriminator (sold under the Sears Ted Williams name). It was found in an old barn foundation in an area that was being cleared for a housing development. The area was rumored to have been used by the underground railroad to smuggle escaped slaves to Canada before the Civil War. The silver bar appears to have been made in a sand mould, it's weight labeled in troy ounces, and I have not yet been able to identify the manufactures mark. It is silver and does weigh one pound, can anyone tell me if it is pre Civil War.

It would be measured in troy ounces as all precious metals are.
Very interesting bar, sure hope you get more info.

SIMMONS REFINING CO.
CHICAGO ILLINOIS

I think they operated from 1940s-1980s but im not sure.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/14-oz-simmons-silver-ingot-bar-999-206142972

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simmons-Refining-Co-999-Silver-100-troy-ounce-ingot-T2834L-/330857157141

Good ID, Taz. I looked around for similar bars and this one is the exact bar just different serial. Sold for $442. Pretty awesome find!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Simmons-Old-Hand-Poured-14-5-Troy-oz-Silver-Ingot-Bar-Stamped-999-Fine-/151141485568?ViewItem=&item=151141485568&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&nma=true&si=A8nAX5RUI5l6ziugzOLnRw5XPJU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Rare-Simmons-Old-Hand-Poured-14-5-Troy-oz-Silver-Ingot-Bar-Stamped-999-Fine-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/jcgAAOxyBXNSWC2Y/$T2eC16V,!%29MFIbMjwl-5BSWC2YRV,w~~60_57.JPG

I would say no as usually the marks are not crisp and clean as yours. Things of that time period usually have a "rough" type of look to them.

Thanks, I've been trying to ID this for over 30 years. It appears that Simmons Refining made this bar in the 1960s or early 1970s. They were bought out by a company called Refco (Simmons Refco) and are now owned by Mid States Refining and recycling. Mid States shows on their web page that they will only respond to a business, not a person, but I really don't need to track it any further, it is still worth its weight in silver. Thanks Taz for the good ID.

Don't sell it for melt value.....unless you want to sell it to me!! It should be worth about 1.5x melt. It is hard to buy silver for melt price anyways. And a bar like this has more premium than junk coin silver, not to mention it is pure silver unlike coins. Silver is low now but 1.5x melt is about $435. That is a conservative figure, the one like yours on Fleebay sold 2 months ago for $442+$10 S/H and silver was at the same price then. Its melt value alone is about $290.
Figuring $20/oz.....for future reference when this is WAY outdated info...:rolleyes:

Aarong81 said:
[Don't sell it for melt value.....unless you want to sell it to me!! It should be worth about 1.5x melt. It is hard to buy silver for melt price anyways. And a bar like this has more premium than junk coin silver, not to mention it is pure silver unlike coins. Silver is low now but 1.5x melt is about $435. That is a conservative figure, the one like yours on Fleebay sold 2 months ago for $442+$10 S/H and silver was at the same price then. Its melt value alone is about $290.
Figuring $20/oz.....for future reference when this is WAY outdated info

I hold on to my silver, that "hedge against inflation" thing, besides you never know when you might run into a werewolf and need a silver bullet.

Very good advice. You have the real and pure thing there!

What a find, I wonder how it got there?

I was looking a buying some land last year and in the course of looking it over I met a neighbor who said an earlier owner told hime he would bury every 50 cent coin he came across. That man is long dead and the neighbor said that he had looked from time to time for the coins but never found one. The funny thing about this is this guy knew nothing of my hobby. The land has numorous stone walls and is terraced and apears to be part of an early 19th century land grant. The sad thing was the current owner has no deed and was claiming more land than it appeared he had. Six acres but the survey of a modern fence only enclosed 1.5 acres. I did not complete the sale.

Buried treasure on an overgrown farm. Does it get any better?

HH

Hi, glad to see some information on these extremely neat looking old pour "Simmons Refining" ingots. I came across one a while back and bought it, but I can imagine how cool it would be to find with a metal detector. Nice find! Anyone thinking about selling one of these ingots, please do not hesitate to email me at tanner.j.h@gmail.com. Thanks - TJ

White's Spectrum XLT