Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manticore Water Hunt - Post Speaker Issue.

geneg

I spent last week detecting in Destin with the Manticore and Deus 2 both in the water and out of the water. The Manticore performed very well in the water however once I came home I got the manticore out for a little park hunt. Once I turned it on the external speaker had little to no sound. Tried factory resetting a few times to no avail. I did a search and found a blurb about pressure and the speaker however I never had the unit more than a foot under water. The solution was to remove the pod and pull the battery cap/bung to release the internal pressure. Removing the pod I noticed there was a large amount of water in the cap as I had the pod upside down in order to remove the screws. I would have thought this water would have drained out over the last few days but it did not. After drying the cap I removed it and wa-la we had speaker but at only half volume. I thought maybe water got in. I put the cap/bung back in and heard a pop at the speaker area and the speaker kinda worked a bit louder but the sound was off. I tried removing and re-installing the cap/bung slowly even rocking back and forth to try to release any pressure as it slid into place. Each time I had a different result i.e. no sound, muffled sound, full sound. Eventually I got it seated with better speaker audio but not great. I waited a few min and the sound finally went back to normal with full volume. I reached out to Minelab and asked about what I had experienced. They said this is normal as the popping at the speaker area of the cap/bung going in was proof the waterproofing was working. So if you have an issue with the speaker not functioning after water hunting then the battery cap/bung removal and reinstall is the solution but seems odd to me not to have some sort of pressure relief built in. One other note is the water not draining from the area of the cap and stem mount. I guess I will have to loosen the screws enough to split the joint so the water will drain or just remove the pod and flush out the salt water.
Curious what others have experienced.

I know of 1 other guy that had this issue.

Water had got into the headphone jack on the Manticore. While the female jack was damp the speaker would not work. He had to leave his headphone plug cover open over night to dry out.

Since then he has had no other issues.

I know of 1 other guy that had this issue.

Water had got into the headphone jack on the Manticore. While the female jack was damp the speaker would not work. He had to leave his headphone plug cover open over night to dry out.

Since then he has had no other issues.
Interesting, I do not think water got into the headphone jack but I will leave the plug off for a few days to dry just in case.